Graduate and teaching assistants (GAs and TAs) are employed by academic department to assist with teaching-related duties.
The workshop is held each Fall for new graduate and teaching assistants in all faculties and departments.
The 2020 annual orientation workshop for new Graduate and Teaching Assistants (GAs and TAs) from all faculties and departments is scheduled for Wednesday, September 9, 2020, from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (details to follow).
The Centre for Teaching and Learning will be holding the GATAcademy completely online, as a week-long event from August 31st - September 4th, 2020.For more information on this and other events coordinated by the GATA Network, please visit us at http://www.uwindsor.ca/ctl/388/gata.
A variety of resources targeted to GAs and TAs in all departments are available for Fall term 2020, including GATA Network workshops and drop-in hours as well as Blackboard support and guidelines from CTL for new GAs/TAs. Resources are summarized on the Fall term resources for students webpage.
- Review the handout from the 2019 orientation workshop held in September, 2019.
Full-time doctoral and Master's students in eligible programs may be offered a Graduate Assistantship (GA) for up to 140 hours per term. Under the current GA/TA collective agreement, a Master’s students who is offered a GA position will receive GA support for a total of three terms, and a doctoral student - for seven terms. One additional GA term may be provided depending on availability. The value of a full 140-hour Master's GA is $5,356.40 per term and a doctoral GA - $5,969.60 per term (rates as of Sept. 2018).
M II – $38.26 per hour
PhD – $42.64 per hour
All rates include 4% vacation pay.
- Note that GAs are paid employment positions - for details review the information about employment of graduate students.
Some departments may offer teaching assistantships (TAs) for undergraduate students.
TA rates (effective Sept. 2018):
- TA I (Years 1 and 2) – $19.80 per hour
- TA II (Years 3 and 4) – $21.33 per hour
- TA III – $28.01 per hour
- M I – $28.01 per hour
All rates include 4% vacation pay.
- the GA/TA Network Development Team works with GAs and TAs across campus, introducing them to mentors and resources they will need to improve their teaching knowledge and skills. Visit CTL's website for details or check out the GA/TA network on Facebook
- Mandatory employee training for GAs and TAs: Accessibility training and Health and Safety
- Notices of available GA and TA positions are posted on the department website before the beginning of the term.
- Graduate and Teaching Assistants are unionized and governed by a Collective Agreement (CUPE 4580).
- Graduate and Teaching Assistantships are paid as a salary and considered employment. Review the information about employment of graduate students.
GATAcademy is a full-day professional development event open to all current and prospective UWindsor graduate assistants (GAs) and teaching assistants (TAs).
Offering a series of interactive workshops led by experienced professionals from across the campus, GATAcademy features resources and activities relevant to both new and experienced GAs/TAs. Topics include designing lessons, conducting effective labs and tutorials, best practices in grading and feedback, and a whole lot more!
GATAcademy is generously sponsored by the Centre for Teaching and Learning, Student Life Enhancement Fund, Graduate Student Society (GSS), and faculties at the University of Windsor.