GSHIP & FEES – Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (OHIP Equivalent) & Fees
The GSHIP Administrator is Marisa Bonasso who is located on the 2nd Floor of Laurier Hall in the International Student Centre.
GSHIP is the equivalent to the Ontario Provincial Government’s Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.
It provides the registered International Students with the medically necessary coverage for services and treatments normally covered by the OHIP for an Ontario resident in all of Canada.
It is mandatory that you have the OHIP Equivalent coverage while you are studying in Canada at the University of Windsor.
If you are an International Undergraduate or Graduate Student, Part-Time or Full-Time, and are registered in an academic program at the University of Windsor, you will automatically be enrolled in the GSHIP coverage and your Student Financial Account will be assessed the Health Insurance International Fees. These fees are included in your tuition fees and are found under the Compulsory Fees.
Grad students will be charged each semester that they are registered in and Undergrads will be charged annually in the FALL semester.
Your coverage will begin on the first day of the month of the semester you are registered in. If you arrive in the month prior of your scheduled semester start date, you can request to be added to the GSC OHIP Equivalent coverage for an additional fee. For instance, if you register for the first time in the FALL semester, your coverage will be from September 1st – December 31st and your financial account will be assessed for 1 semester. If you arrive one month earlier, in August, you can request to be enrolled in the health insurance coverage for an additional 1 month fee.
If you register for the first time in the WINTER semester, your coverage will be from January 1st – April 30th. If you arrive one month earlier, in December, you can request to be enrolled in the health insurance coverage for an additional 1 month fee.
If you register for the first time in the INTER/SUMMER semester, your coverage will be from May 1st – August 31st and your financial account will be assessed for 1 semester.
Please Note: If you do not register in September, you will not have any coverage through the UofW until you re-register again.
Green Shield Canada Health Cards
All NEW registered International Students will receive an email from Green Shield Canada (GSC) within the first month after classes begin in the student's first semester. The email will include instructions on how to register and download your electronic copy of the green shield card. You will need to present your GSC OHIP Equivalent health card when visiting any health care provider or any medical facility for any medical services that are covered under this plan in Canada. You must carry your GSC health card with you at all times or be able to present an electronic version on your phone. Your GSC health card does not expire, the policy does, so please do not discard the GSC health card untl you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
Adding a family member to your coverage
If your spouse or child(ren) have traveled with you to Canada, you may add them to your GSHIP coverage for an additional fee. Your family will be covered the same services as you. Their names will be added to your Green Shield Health Card. Your family members’ coverage will not automatically be renewed, therefore, it is your responsibility to contact the GSHIP Administrator Marisa Bonasso to add, renew or cancel their coverage before the expiry date.
Opting Out of GSHIP
Health Insurance is mandatory while you are studying at the University of Windsor and living in Canada. You may opt out of the unused portion of the GSHIP if you provide proof that you:
- Are leaving Canada – you must provide a travel itinerary stating that you are leaving Canada AND complete an Opt-Out Waiver
- Have the Ontario Provincial OHIP coverage through Service Ontario – you must provide your Health Card or a Transaction Record
- Are covered through one the Pre-Approved Plans – you must provide the policy
- Are actively covered by Guard Me through another Canadian college or university – you must provide the policy
- Have the Provincial coverage from another province or territory in Canada – you must provide your Health Card
- Commute to and from the USA to Canada and you do not live in Canada unless you are on a Lancer Athletic Team-you must complete an Opt-Out Waiver Form
Please Note: All other Health Insurance Plans will not be accepted.
What is Covered?
GSHIP provides the International Students and their families with the medically necessary basic health coverage while they are a registered student in an academic program at the University of Windsor. Please read the International Students GSC Booklet for services and treatments that are covered under this plan. Some services rendered under this plan are:
- Physician Visits: in a clinic, emergency hospital or doctor’s office
- Lab Work: blood testing, urine testing etc.
- Diagnostic Testing: X-rays, CT scans, MRI, ultrasound etc.,
- Medically necessary tests and treatments related to COVID-19 (not covered for travel and immigration purposes)
- Admitted to Hospital: for 1 day stay, 1 week, 1 month; etc. is covered
- Surgeries, operations and procedures that are medically necessary and that are normally covered by OHIP
- Pregnancy: prenatal and postnatal care
- Ambulance Services: You pay $45; the insurance pays the remainder
Where to see a Doctor?
Here is a list of Walk-In-Clinics and Emergency Hospitals in the Windsor area close to the University of Windsor. The first 2 Clinics that are listed and the 2 Emergency Hospitals will bill Green Shield Canada directly providing you show your Green Shield card.
Please Note: The Emergency Hospital is for Emergencies ONLY. The wait time to see a doctor in the Emergency Hospital could be 8-10 hours. The wait time at a Walk-In-Clinic could be 2-3 hours.
Not all health facilities accept the GSHIP coverage and bill Green Shield directly, therefore, sometimes you will need to pay in advance for some services and then submit a GSC Claim Form for reimbursement.
In the event that your GSC card was not accepted for any medical services or treatments normally covered by GSHIP and you have proof of payment, you will need to submit a GSC Claim Form along with the original receipt(s) for reimbursement.
To submit a claim for any services rendered allowed under the GSC OHIP Equivalent health coverage; your GSC card; you'll need to:
- download a Claim Form from the ISC website
- complete the Claim Form (instructions for submitting a receipt and an invoice can also be found on Blackboard)
- attach the receipt/invoice
- take a copy for your records
- mail the Claim Form and receipt to the address on the Claim Form via Canada Postal Services or email the Claim Form and receipt to email@example.com
- allow 4-6 weeks for a refund
Graduating and Health Insurance
Congratulations on your graduation from the University of Windsor! Now that you are an adult, finished your education and are about to enter the working world, it is very important for International Students to think about your Health Insurance since you are no longer a student.
If you were assessed the Health Insurance Fees in the FALL semester and are finished your classes in December and you are graduating in May, your Basic Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) – OHIP Equivalent will terminate December 31st. For an additional fee you can request to extend the coverage for 2-months, until February 28th.
If you were assessed the Health Insurance Fees in the WINTER semester and are finished your classes in April and you are graduating in May, your Basic Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) – OHIP Equivalent will terminate April 30th. For an additional fee you can request to extend the coverage for 2-months, until June 30th.
If you were assessed the Health Insurance Fees in the INTER/SUMMER semester and are finished your classes in August and you are graduating in October, your Basic Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) – OHIP Equivalent will terminate August 31st.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to extend your coverage for 2-months beyond your program course completion.