Male student standing in front of flags at International Student Centre

Resources for Students

There are many resources available to help you succeed:

Check out these resources on Academic Support for International Students for help succeeding as a student at the University of Windsor.

See our Money and Financial Information page for information on paying your tuition, banking, scholarships and financial estimation letters.


  • Take some time to think about calls or emails you receive or the people that come to your door.  If it sounds too good to be true, consider that it could be a scam
  • If you are asked to respond with urgency, remember, nothing is urgent
  • Fraudsters are able to make an incoming call appear legitimate by making the call display appear with a number that in fact belongs to the company/agency they say they are from.  However, they are not actually phoning from that number. This is also the case with emails, as fraudsters can make e-mails appear very legitimate
  • Some scam emails may say things such as “Email Money Transfer Alert: Please verify this payment information below…”, “Dear Online Account Holder, Access To Your Account Is Currently Unavailable…”, “We regret to inform you that we had to lock your bank account access. Call (telephone number) to restore your bank account.”  Sometimes these emails contain obvious grammatical errors or misspellings
  • Banks will never ask you for your password via email
  • No government agency or legitimate business will ask for payments through Bitcoin, gift cards, MoneyGrams or other untraceable payment methods.  The fraudsters will also encourage victims not to talk to anyone else and will try to keep them on the phone until the money is sent  


  • Check facts through, Google or call a friend for a second opinion
  • Keep safe from job scams and never accept payment for a job proposition
  • Do not give out your personal information including: SIN, passport, credit card, passwords, or banking information
  • Always confirm who you are speaking with if it involves giving out personal information or money.  Ask for the phone number so that you can call them back, or for their name/employee number or ID so you can call the company to verify their identity
  • Protect your Green Shield health insurance card: never share your card, even if your friend is going to the doctor.  Always carry one copy of your card and keep your extra card in a safe place when not in use
  • Do not participate in online surveys unless you are 100% sure of where they are coming from
  • Update your computer protection with anti-virus, spyware filters, email filters
  • When creating a password, create the longest possible password that contains a combination of upper and lowercase letters and symbols
  • Regularly check your bank, credit and debit card statements
  • Use PayPal to make online purchases whenever possible


  • If you receive a call or e-mail from someone asking for personal information or money, slow the conversation down, take your time, take the emotion out of the situation, and verify the information.  If you are unable to verify the information yourself, please contact your local police service who can assist you BEFORE you become a victim.  



Learn about finding on/off-campus housing and getting a cell phone plan on our Housing and Telephone info page.

Insurance protects you from the unexpected and from being held liable. It is typically very low cost. 

Health Insurance: 

As an international student, you cannot be in Canada without insurance. Health Insurance is included as part of your tuition and is mandatory for all UWindsor students. All it takes is one unexpected health incident for you to understand why it is so critical to have.   

Home/Contents/Renters Insurance: 

All students should have home/tenant insurance. Even if you don’t own your home, as a renter, if something unexpected happens to your belongings (flood, fire, theft), you will be very glad that you purchased contents insurance. Worst of all, if your actions are responsible for causing damage in your landlord’s house and you are found to be liable, without insurance, your landlord, or his/her insurance company can hold you liable for all costs. You should shop for a reputable insurance company. There are many in Windsor to choose from. Most content insurance policy rates are extremely reasonably priced and would protect you and your belongings.  

Auto Insurance: 

Whether you have your own car or plan to travel with another driver, it is critical that the registered owner of the vehicle has comprehensive auto insurance coverage.  

Not having any of these insurances can be devastating to your health and your finances. Unexpected circumstances occur more often than you think. 

Log in to Brightspace to keep up with announcements, events and important information plus gain access to additional resources and information.

The ISC hosts fourth-year nursing students every semester to provide you with health-related support. Their mandate is to increase awareness of health matters among the international student population.

The Canadian Government's website has an application and information for temporary (or permanent) residents who need to obtain a replacement copy of a document issued to them by Canadian Immigration authorities and that has been lost, stolen or destroyed.

A non-refundable fee of $30.00 applies, and payment must be included with the application. You can pay online and print the receipt.

Send or take your application to:

Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document
Operations Support Centre (OSC)
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

If your passport is lost, you must also arrange for this, as the process varies from country to country. You will have to contact the Embassies, High Commissions, or consulates of your nation to find out the requisites, processing time, costs, etc. Once you have renewed your passport, you must then renew your study permit and, if you are planning to travel, your entry visa.

Visit the Government of Canada website for the Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document.

When you transfer from one post secondary educational institution from within Canada to another, you must let Canada Immigration & Citizenship know. Follow these steps:

1. Login to GCKey.

2. Scroll down until you find the option Transfer from DLI#  to notify CIC that you are attending another designated learning institution.

3. Enter your application number. You will find this in the upper right corner of your study permit, usually beginning with S300.

4. Complete the remaining questions and submit:

  • You will need you NEW institution DLI (not UWindsor's),
  • your NEW student ID # and
  • the exact date when you will start classes there.

The University of Windsor is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and our number is (DLI#) O19358946722 (the first character is the capital letter O).

The Multi-Faith Space is provided to support the diversity of the University community. It is to be used for prayer/meditation and religious observances and is open to students, faculty and staff.


Student Counselling Centre
Room 293 CAW Centre
University of Windsor

Monday-Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm

519-253-3000 ext 4616

Visit the SCC website for more information, or to book an appointment.


  • Good2Talk:  24 Hour Student Helpline: 1-866-925-5454
  • Community Crisis Centre at Windsor Regional Hospital Ouelette campus.  This includes:
    • A 24-hour crisis telephone line - 519-973-4435
    • 24 hour walk-in service at Ouellette Campus emergency department

Safer Sex, Dating, & Relationships

At UWindsor, we provide education & resources on safer sex, sexual wellness, consent, healthy dating & relationships through the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, Resistance, & Support.

Take our Dating & Relationships workshop with ISC, or visit our website to learn more about our other programs, like Bystander® or Flip the Script™.

If you've had unwanted sexual experience and need support, we're here. You can reach out for support by emailing us at or visiting our Support webpage.


Ignite: Work Study Program

Ignite is the University of Windsor’s Work Study program and funds approximately 400 part-time jobs on campus for students demonstrating financial need related to basic living expenses and direct educational costs. Positions offer an opportunity for both financial benefits and skills development. The program is a partnership between Student Awards & Financial Aid and Career Development & Experiential Learning.


mySuccess is our innovative web-based system that has been designed to allow UWindsor students access to job opportunities, employment-related resources.


Our campus and community offer a wide range of volunteer opportunities that you can take part in.

Sign up to receive automatic notifications about upcoming events based on your interests and availability!

International Student Identity Card, ISIC

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is an essential discount card designed for full-time students. More than 4.5 million students worldwide get the ISIC each year for access to over 40,000 student discounts and benefits in 120 countries. Save at home and abroad on travel, accommodation, food and drink, entertainment, admissions to museums and cultural attractions, retail purchases and more.

To get your ISIC card visit and fill out the online form.

Stay up to date with this listing of Important Academic Dates.

Moving to a new country for school can be both exciting and stressful! Student Health, Counselling & Wellness Services is here to help support your well-being while you are a student at the University of Windsor. On this page, you will find a series of videos and resources that will provide you with more information about what to expect when you arrive in Canada and practical tips for success, including ideas for finding a place to live, navigating the Canadian healthcare system, making friends, finding a job, and taking care of yourself.

Where in the world are the international students from?

The University of Windsor welcomes students from throughout the world. The countries with the most students currently studying at the University of Windsor include China, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, United States, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.