In 2018, the Faculty of Engineering introduced an Iron Pin Ceremony. The highlight of the ceremony is the reciting of the UWindsor Engineering Oath and presentation of an Iron Pin to each student. By reciting the oath, students pledge to uphold the ideals and expectations of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario, University of Windsor and Faculty of Engineering.
Ethics, integrity, respect and professionalism are key to the expectations we hold for our Engineering students as they work through the curriculum on a path to receiving their Iron Ring in their final year and a future career in Engineering. As students receive their Iron Pins, they will notice that there are three holes in the pin. The holes are placeholders for the bronze, silver, and gold medallions that they will receive following each year of their studies, having demonstrated the qualities that are detailed in the oath.
As a member of the University of Windsor Engineering community:
- I promise to behave in a manner that demonstrates my commitment to academic integrity and my devotion “to high ideals of personal honour and professional integrity” as required by the Code of Ethics of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- I promise to treat my fellow students, the staff and faculty members with fairness and loyalty, respecting the equity, diversity, and inclusivity in my campus community.
- I promise to treat University property and equipment with care and respect.
- I promise to resist and report any behavior that may be in conflict with this oath.
To demonstrate my belief in the University of Windsor’s core values, I pledge to work towards:
- the highest intellectual and ethical standards and life-long learning,
- the highest standards of human rights and freedoms,
- civility and respect for all members of the campus community, and
- making a positive impact on campus.
This pledge provides a strong foundation in the pursuit of all of our professional and personal goals. The upholding of these ideals by the Faulty of Engineering community will result in a positive impact on our community and reputation. In addition to the Faculty of Engineering's code of ethics, you must always keep in mind that there are certain standards that all university students must uphold.
Please review the University of Windsor's academic integrity senate bylaw and stance on the following unacceptable behaviours: