Photo of the Odette Building, UWindsor Campus, against a blue sky

Curriculum Revisions & New Program Development

Before moving forward with any curricular changes, you should contact Renée Wintermute, the University Secretary, for advice on forms and approval process (, Extension 3347). This will help limit delays and bottlenecks as you move through the approval process.


Before commencing the development of a new program, contact the Office of Quality Assurance, for guidance.

Consult the University of Windsor Quality Assurance Flow Chart

New Program Proposals

All new program proposals require external review, and approval at the following levels: departmental, Provost, Program Development Committee, Senate, Ontario Council on Quality Assurance Council. Graduate programs also require approval by Graduate Council. Ministry approval is also often required. Contact the Office of Quality Assurance (often referred to as the IQAP office) and/or the University Secretariat for assistance with new program proposal process. Please note that many aspects of the timeline are regulatory and beyond the control of the Institution. To discuss timelines, please contact the Office of Quality Assurance (Extension 2114).

If your department is interested in developing a new program, you can begin the process by:

  • Completing and then submitting the Statement of Intent Form
  • This will trigger a request for preliminary approval from the Provost to develop an application.
  • Once that has been received, you will be contacted for a meeting with the New Program Steering Committee, who will help you to develop action items that ensure early consultation with the dean, the Provost, Budgets, CTL, the Registrar’s Office and the University Secretariat. They will also talk you through the process of developing some of the trickier sections of the PDC forms, such as the student and labour-market demand sections and the budget.

Do all of this BEFORE you begin to complete the PDC forms..

It is an unavoidably complicated process with a lot of different external agencies involved, and the Steering Committee’s job is to help you avoid bottlenecks, delays and roadblocks. For more information see New Program Development.

Major Program Changes, Minor Program Change, New Course Proposals, and Minor Course and Calendar Changes

Depending on the nature of the change, first consult with one or more of the following: the dean, CTL, the IQAP office, the Provost’s office. Complete the required Program Development Committee (PDC) Form.

If you are unclear whether the revision constitutes a major or minor program change, contact the University Secretary before completing the PDC Form(s).

If you have any questions regarding this topic or a related matter, your first point of contact is Renée Wintermute, the University Secretary.

Note: This site is a living document, the goal of which is to improve, in some small way, the working lives of University of Windsor faculty. We are eager to collaborate with the campus community to better this service over time. If you can identify any knowledge gaps, missing resources, or outdated or erroneous information on this site, please contact Iva Gentcheva, Director, Office of the Provost and Faculty Recruitment, without hesitation.