Co-op/Internship Work Permit Eligibility Criteria

If you are enrolled in a program that has a Co-op or Internship component, you need to have a valid Co-op/Internship Work Permit and study permit for your co-op or internship placements. To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, or professional program at the University of Windsor, certified by a letter from the Registrar's Office or downloaded from your UWinsite Student Portal > Academics> Self Service Letters
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.

Co-op/internship work permit cannot be used for employment that is not part of your official academic program of study. If you are not sure if your employment is an essential part of your academic program, please consult with both your department/co-op office and International Student Advisor to make sure you are eligible to apply for the co-op/internship work permit.

It is important to apply early so that you will receive the work permit in time for your co-op/internship placement. If your study permit is not sufficient to cover your internship/co-op placement, you shall renew your study permit and indicate that you also would like to apply for the co-op/internship work permit.