The Government of Canada has extended the restriction of direct commercial and private passenger flights to Canada from India until 21 August 2021.
Passengers who depart India to Canada via an indirect route will continue to be required to obtain a COVID-19 pre-departure test from a third country (other than India) before continuing their journey to Canada.
If you have already begun your program or if you will begin your program in Summer/Fall 2021 you can study online from your home country and still be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit. For more information please visit this article.
Effective 9 August 2021 international travellers (including international students) will no longer be required to quarantine at government-authorized accommodations while awaiting the results of their on-arrival COVID-19 test before travelling to their final destination.
International students who are not fully vaccinated travelers (or who are deemed not eligible for the quarantine exemptions) will still be required to complete a 14-day quarantine - including Day 1 and Day 8 COVID tests for unvaccinated travellers.
Beginning July 6 travellers who are fully vaccinated according to the Canadian requirements and will meet all of the requirements, can be exempted from the requirement to quarantine for 14 days. If exempted, this will mean that travellers will no longer have to complete a mandatory 3-day hotel stay at a government-authorized hotel and they will not have to do day 8 testing.
** starting on 09 August 2021, vaccinated travellers will also not be required to complete a post-arrival Day 1 molecular test - unless they have been randomly selected to complete one at an airport or land border crossing
To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of a vaccine that is accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada.
Currently, the accepted vaccines are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).
For the exemption you must provide documentation supporting your vaccination in English (or French) within 72 hours of your travel using the ArriveCAN app.
All travellers, including people who are fully vaccinated, must still meet all other mandatory requirements, including submission of a quarantine plan, pre-arrival testing, and arrival testing.
See this website for full details: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully.
Starting 9 August 2021 the Government of Canada requires airlines to ensure all passengers have submitted their travel information through the ArriveCan app before boarding flights to Canada. Travel information needed to be submitted within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.
You can find and download the app from Google Play or the Apple App Store
** Keep aprised of any changes to the Canadian arrival and quarantine restrictions via the ISC website and through the Government of Canada website. Also, please review the COVID-19: Guide for International Students In Canada Arriving From Abroad.
It is imperative that you read all of the following and abide by all directives.
UWindsor is now on the approved list of designated learning institutions (DLIs) that have reopened to asymptomatic international students from outside of Canada. International students who have or have been approved for a study permit can now travel to Canada for their studies (a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose).
In order to reopen to international students who aren’t currently in Canada, the Government of Ontario had to review UWindsor’s COVID-19 readiness plan to ensure it protects the health and safety of all students, staff and the community. UWindsor’s readiness plan includes safe and comfortable accommodation arrangements for the mandatory 14-day quarantine period for students and can be found below.
Prior to leaving your country of origin, review all information carefully and thoroughly before proceeding with your plans.
General Information Before You Travel to Canada:
1. Review the Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html
3. You must have a travel plan and 14-day quarantine plan ready to be presented to Canada Border Services Agency when you arrive in Canada. You must complete the university’s Travel and Quarantine form before you leave your country. This plan must be ready to present to the Canada Border Service Agency upon your arrival. The university has created a Travel and Quarantine Plan for your use. Download it here: UWindsor's International Student Travel and 14 Day Quarantine Plan.
*If sections of the template do not apply to you, please insert an appropriate answer (See example below)
4. Once you have your flight booked to Canada and finalized your travel plans, you are required to complete this PREARRIVAL FORM at least 72 hours prior to your departure and include your completed UWindsor's International Student Travel and 14 Day Quarantine Plan.
5. Students are responsible for paying all quarantine costs. Students will pay directly to the supplier of services for all hotel accommodations, food and transportation costs.
More information on booking hotels for the 3 day mandatory stop over can be found here.
6. At this time, parents, siblings and other family members who are not co-dependents will not be permitted to enter Canada. Do not make plans for them to join you on your journey to Windsor. Exceptions to this recommendation include any dependents who are travelling with you (e.g. spouse, children) if these individuals are staying with you for an extended period or permanently.
7. Immediately upon arriving in Ontario, you must contact the university’s Green Shield Health Insurance Plan office by email email@example.com to ensure that you have health insurance coverage. You cannot be in Canada without health coverage. It is MANDATORY and ESSENTIAL from the first day of your arrival. Please include your full name, student number and arrival date in your email.
8. When you arrive in Canada and when your 14-day quarantine has started, a representative from the university will contact you by email (Intlarrivals@uwindsor.ca) to check up on you once every day. It is important that you respond daily to the messages. If you don’t, we will have hotel staff, a university official or the local police stop by to check on you. It’s important that we know you are safe, so regular communications are ESSENTIAL.
9. A travel support letter is no longer required to enter Canada, but you are encouraged to travel with the following documents.
*You might want to consider when is the right time for you to travel to Canada. While there is no official rule for when you can arrive in Canada before the start of your semester, coming too early might not be a good idea. If you arrive too early before the start of your first semester, you might be in a situation that your Health Insurance has not started yet, and with the COVID pandemic this is a really bad idea. Health insurance for new students starting in the Fall 2021 semester will activate on 01 September 2021 for students who are registered in classes. If you are a new student starting your very first semester, you cannot work until your classes begin.
Air Canada Promotional Pricing for UWindsor Students
The University of Windsor and Air Canada have entered into a joint agreement to help international students travel to Canada, including accessing promotional rates to affordable flights to Canada.
Toronto to Windsor: Robert Q shuttle service is operating on a limited schedule. Other than private transportation with a friend or family member, the Robert Q shuttle service is the only option to get from Toronto’s airport to Windsor at this time.
Please ensure you review the Robert Q Airbus website and in particular information about their COVID-19 preventative measures. Prior to departing from your home country, you should contact Robert Q directly to reserve your transportation.
There are two daily departures to Windsor:
- Departs Toronto @ 8:00 AM; change of shuttle in London at Robert Q Airbus main office @ 10:15 AM; Arrives Windsor @ 12:25 PM
- Departs Toronto @ 5:00 PM; change of shuttle in London at Robert Q Airbus main office, with a layover of 2 hours, @ 7:30 PM; Arrives Windsor @ 11:40 PM
Toronto to Windsor: Daily Air Canada flights are available from Toronto to Windsor. Departure dates and times vary by day.
14-Day Quarantine Options:
You have two options to continue your quarantions
- A hotel or Airbnb. UWindsor has made arrangements with hotels in Windsor and Toronto that students can choose that have discounted rates and meals. Details are below.
- Live off-campus in your own apartment, house or room, or with a friend or family member.
- NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING RECOMMENDED HOTELS MAY NOT NECESSARILY BE ON THE LIST FOR THE MANDATORY 3 DAY HOTEL STOPOVER. These hotels are listed to give students options for the remaining eleven days of their quarantine.
- ALL students (with no exceptions) must quarantine and are not permitted to leave their rooms or the hotel grounds under any circumstances.
- Hotels will not provide guests with a room key to ensure compliance with the order to stay in your room for the entire 14-days.
- All meals will be delivered to your room.
- If you require support, you must contact the hotel front desk using your phone in your room. You may not leave the premises of the hotel for 14-days from the day that you check in. Hotel security will be in place 24/7 and this will include on-site cameras. Failure to adhere to this stipulation may result in serious fines by the Canadian Government and potential disciplinary measures being taken by the university. The hotel is required to report all instances of non-compliance.
- If you experience a medical emergency, you should call 911 and remain in your room as long as it is safe to do so. In such a situation, you should also immediately call the front desk for further directions.
- If you are feeling unwell and it is not an urgent situation, call Student Health Services (519-973-7002) to make an appointment with a physician. You will connect with a physician by phone or by video conference.
- Students are responsible for booking their own accommodations and paying for all expenses for lodging and food. This includes any expenses incurred as a result of cancellations. If your flight is canceled through no fault of your own and you can provide proof of the flight cancellation, you may contact the hotel to negotiate the removal of any cancellation fee.
Hotel Options in Toronto:
If you are planning to quarantine in Toronto, you may wish to contact one of the following hotels. Special room rates and food delivery have been negotiated with the hotel. It is up to you to contact them to secure and pay for your reservation.
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre (Close to Pearson Airport)
This hotel is NOW a government approved hotel for the 3 day mandated quarantine.
Please be advised that the 3 day mandated stay can be booked at the government provided number. The remaining 11 night stays can be booked with the link below. Please note that meal offerings are different for the 3 day program and the 11 nights stay program.
801 Dixon Rd., Toronto, ON M1W 1J5
- Additional Value Adds Included
- Complimentary wireless high-speed Internet Access in all guestrooms
- 20% off laundry services
- Free local, toll-free and credit card access calls
- Guestrooms Features
- King or two queen beds
- In-room safes
- Flat-panel screen TVs
- Dual-line telephones, data port and voice mail
- Iron, ironing board and hairdryer
- Flexible work station
- Refrigerator (microwave, dishes and glassware are available upon request)
- Meal Pricing
- Breakfast $10.00
- Lunch $20.00
- Dinner $20.00
- Meals will be delivered to each room at specified times. Students will be responsible for identifying any food allergies or dietary restrictions in advance of arrival so the hotel can ensure suitable alternative meals.
- Meals are subject to 13% tax and 15% service charge.
Edward Village Hotel Markham
50 E Valhalla Dr, Markham, ON L3R 0A3
- Hotel Direct Number: 905-477-2010
- Hotel Website: https://www.edwardvillagehotel.com/markham
- Reservation method: Click the website link and go to “Book Now” then select Special code and enter “UOW” or click this link: https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=68916&Chain=19149&promo=UOW
- University of Windsor – Self Quarantine Rate $99.00 plus taxes per night
- Main Contact: Theiva Kumaresan
- Cell Number: 647-299-4334
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation from Pearson to Edward Village Hotel Markham: Pearson Toronto Airport to the hotel-25 minutes and the taxi cost $55.00-$65.00
- Agreed Terms for Edward Village Hotel:
- Require a credit card number to guarantee the room reservation
- Hotel is monitored and managed by the on-site Manager on duty 24 hours
- The hotel will require 24 hours to prepare for arrivals
- Linen, sheets, and towels will be provided twice a week and placed outside the guestroom door and to be discussed
- Guest personal laundry items can be bagged and place outside the room at an additional fee of $7.00 per bag
- All guestrooms are non-smoking rooms and smoking is prohibited indoors at anytime
- Designated smoking areas are 15 meters away from the hotel building
- Indian meal delivery service may be available upon request.
HOTEL OPTION IN WINDSOR:
The University of Windsor recommends the following Windsor hotel accommodations for students as an option to quarantine.
Howard Johnson Plaza by Wyndham Windsor
2530 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, ON, N8X 1L7
- Wyndham Hotels: Booking URL
- Rate Plan Code LBU1.
- Corp ID # 1000049040
- When booking your hotel, you must inform them that you are a student from the University of Windsor and provide them with this code: UWIN.
- The University assumes no responsibility for expenses for hotels, food, transportation, damage to your room, etc.
- Rates: $44.99 per night (plus applicable taxes) and includes:
- A grab and go breakfast
- Cleaning supplies (no daily room cleaning by housekeeping will be available)
- Tissues, toilet paper, extra towels, coffee/tea supplies for in room machine
- Arrangements to have personal items laundered must be made through the hotel front desk
- This pricing is only available by booking directly through the link provided or by calling the Hotel directly. It will not be available at this price if you book through a booking website.
- Two additional meals (choice of Indian or other cuisine) can be arranged for daily delivery at a cost of $8.00 per meal. Meal charges must be paid directly to the meal delivery service or to the hotel. Students should contact the hotel upon their arrival for more information.
For students living off campus, you are reminded to check with your landlord in advance of your departure to Windsor to see what options might be available to quarantine in your apartment, home or room. Some landlords may discourage you from quarantining in your off-campus home because you could expose other roommates to COVID-19 and thus all would have to isolate for the same 14- day period. If this is the case, please see the hotel options above.
If living off-campus, it is imperative that you follow the directions of the Government of Canada regarding your quarantine. You should not be leaving your residence property for any reason, with the exception of a medical emergency. Failure to comply with these directions, could result in fines and disciplinary action being taken by the university.
- All incoming international students must be tested for COVID-19 during their 14-day quarantine period, and they must have a negative test before leaving their quarantine. This is a mandatory requirement.
- All incoming international students will be tested for COVID-19 at least three times:
- Everyone is required to have a pre-departure COVID-19 test with a negative results within 72 hours of boarding your flight to Canada.
- At the airport when you arrive. This is followed by a mandatory stay at an approved hotel for up to 3 days while you wait for the results.
- Towards the end of your quarantine
- Unless you can walk to a testing location, take a cab directly to and from the testing centre. Using a cab or a ride share service is permissible if you are in quarantine. Here is more information on using a taxi or rideshare service: https://www.wechu.org/sites/default/files/create-resource/covid-19-recommendations-ride-sharing-services-and-passengers.pdf.
- When travelling outside of you quarantine locate ALWAYS wear a mask and stay 2-meters apart from other persons.
- When your test is complete and you receive a result (2 to 4 days later), you are required to advise the university’s case manager that has been following up with you through email that you’ve completed your test. If you have a positive result, the case manager will follow up with you to gather additional information.
An online webinar was hosted on Nov. 19 to help students learn more about our COVID-19 Readiness Plan and the steps International Students need to follow to safely travel to Canada. A recorded version of the online webinar is now available, along with a PDF version of the slide deck that was presented.