Post-graduation Work Permit Eligibility Criteria

After completing an academic or a professional program at the University of Windsor, international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).  The PGWP provides international students a great opportunity to obtain Canadian work experience and/or start their permanent residence applications. 

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have continuously studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • You must have graduated from one of the designated learning institutions. Eg, the University of Windsor.
  • You must apply for a work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.
    • You must have valid status in Canada when you apply for the work permit from inside Canada. If you don’t apply with a valid status then you must leave the country. A study permit expires: the date that is written on the study permit or 90 days after you complete your studies (Whichever comes first) Speak to a International Student Advisor if you have questions at
  • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have a valid status in Canada when you apply for the work permit from inside Canada. You should renew it if your study permit will expire before you graduate or before you can gather all the supporting documents.

Issuance of the Work Permit

  • A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, for a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, which must be a minimum of eight months in duration. For more information on the PGWP and issuance length, please visit the Government of Canada website.

COVID Measures

Recognizing the difficulties that international students are facing the Government of Canada announced the extension and expansion of the temporary work permit measures.

Distance learning from outside of Canada

You can complete up to 100% of your studies online from outside Canada between spring 2020 and August 31, 2022, because of a temporary COVID-19 policy. This policy is in place until August 31, 2022.

You’re eligible for this temporary policy if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You’re enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program.
  • You were outside Canada and unable to travel to Canada because of the COVID-19 pandemic but were still able to take online courses.
  • You began a program in any semester from spring 2020 to summer 2022, or your program was already in progress in March 2020.
  • You have a study permit or approval for a study permit, or you have applied for a study permit for which you are eventually approved prior to starting your program.
  • You meet all other PGWP eligibility criteria.

If you’re completing 2 study programs

You’re still eligible for this temporary policy if you’re completing 2 study programs that were ongoing or started between March 2020 and summer 2022. All other program stacking policies also apply.

What doesn’t count toward the length of your PGWP

You can’t count the following time toward the length of a PGWP:

  • Time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2022.
  • Time spent studying before you applied for a study permit.

Distance learning from inside of Canada

If your courses were moved online due to the pandemic, the time you spend studying online from within Canada still counts toward the length of your PGWP. However, it’s highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered.

There is no specific end date to the temporary policy changes for in-Canada students.

For more information, please see the IRCC website : Work in Canada after you graduate: Who can apply -

If you have any questions, please contact an International Student Advisor ( or visit

Please note: 

  • In cases where a study permit application is submitted before a program starts but is refused if a subsequent study permit application is received before the end of the program and is eventually approved, the studies undertaken after the first study permit application was received by the department count towards the length of the PGWP.

Other Important Information

  • The PGWP is an open work permit and can only be issued once. If you plan to further your study, please make an appointment with our International Student Advisor through mySuccess to discuss your future plans. 
  • If you have ever taken a leave of absence or studied part-time, it is recommended you consult with our International Student Advisor before submitting your application.