Post-graduation Work Permit Eligibility Criteria

After completing an academic or a professional program at the University of Windsor, international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).  The PGWP provides international students a great opportunity to obtain Canadian work experience and/or start their permanent residence applications. 

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have continuously studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • You must have graduated from one of the designated learning institutions. Eg, the University of Windsor.
  • You must apply for a work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.
    • You must have valid status in Canada when you apply for the work permit from inside Canada. If you don’t apply with a valid status then you must leave the country. A study permit expires: the date that is written on the study permit or 90 days after you complete your studies (Whichever comes first) Speak to a International Student Advisor if you have questions at
  • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have a valid status in Canada when you apply for the work permit from inside Canada. You should renew it if your study permit will expire before you graduate or before you can gather all the supporting documents.

Issuance of the Work Permit

  • A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, for a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, which must be a minimum of eight months in duration. For more information on the PGWP and issuance length, please visit the Government of Canada website.

COVID Measures

Distance learning from outside of Canada

Distance learning from inside of Canada

If you have any questions, please contact an International Student Advisor (

Other Important Information

  • The PGWP is an open work permit and can only be issued once. If you plan to further your study, please make an appointment with our International Student Advisor through mySuccess to discuss your future plans. 
  • If you have ever taken a leave of absence or studied part-time, it is recommended you consult with our International Student Advisor before submitting your application.