Here are also some additional helpful links provided by IRCC:
- CBSA e-pamphlet for new international students arriving for the fall cohort
- “Welcome to Canada: Publications for newcomers” has everything from health care services to housing, to all the steps to settling in a new community.
- EduCanada, and in particular these sections “Why Canada”, “Live and work”, and “Pre-departure guide” –have helpful tips for students.
As of January 15, 2022, international students who are 18 years and older will need to be fully vaccinated to enter Canada. Check here if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller. Children under the age of 18 must continue to follow testing, quarantine and other entry requirements.
Keep aprised of any changes to the Canadian arrival and quarantine restrictions via the ISC website and through the Government of Canada website. Also, please review the COVID-19: Guide for International Students In Canada Arriving From Abroad.
Review the Return to Campus website for information about campus protocols and health and safety procedures.
It is imperative that you read all of the following and abide by all directives.
COVID-19 border measures end on October 1, 2022
UWindsor is now on the approved list of designated learning institutions (DLIs) that have reopened to asymptomatic international students from outside of Canada. International students who have or have been approved for a study permit can now travel to Canada for their studies.
Prior to leaving your country of origin, review all information carefully and thoroughly before proceeding with your plans.
General Information Before You Travel to Canada:
1.Review the Government of Canada website on Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice.
2.The Government of Canada requires airlines to ensure all passengers have submitted their travel information through the ArriveCan app before boarding flights to Canada. Travel information needed to be submitted within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.You can find and download the app from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
3. Immediately upon arriving in Ontario, you must contact the University’s Green Shield Health Insurance Plan office by emailng them at email@example.com to ensure that you have health insurance coverage. You cannot be in Canada without health coverage. It is MANDATORY and ESSENTIAL from the first day of your arrival. Please include your full name, student number and arrival date in your email.
4. A travel support letter is no longer required to enter Canada, but you are encouraged to travel with the following documents.
*You might want to consider when is the right time for you to travel to Canada. While there is no official rule for when you can arrive in Canada before the start of your semester, coming too early might not be a good idea. If you arrive too early before the start of your first semester, you might be in a situation that your Health Insurance has not started yet, and with the COVID pandemic this is a really bad idea. Health insurance for new students starting in the Fall 2022 semester will activate on 01 September 2022 for students who are registered in classes. If you are a new student starting your very first semester, you cannot work until your classes begin.
COVID-19 Arrival Requirements:
For information about what types of vaccines are recognized, whether international students will be encouraged to get vaccinated once they arrive and much more, please review the information here.
COVID-19 border measures end on October 1, 2022
Starting October 1, 2022, all COVID-19 border requirements, including vaccination, mandatory use of ArriveCAN, and any testing and quarantine/isolation requirements will end for all travellers entering Canada whether by land, air or sea.
Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.
Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.
Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status.
As part of the structured plan to move COVID-19 testing out of airports, the Government of Canada is temporarily suspending mandatory random arrival testing at all airports for travellers who qualify as fully vaccinated until mid-July.
There are no changes to mandatory random arrival testing at land borders.
ArriveCAN receipt with letter I or, V, or A beside the vaccinated traveller’s name
Proof of your vaccination that was uploaded into ArriveCAN app (original or paper copy)
* For the list of accepted vaccines, please visit the official Government of Canada website
3. Travel document you entered in ArriveCAN (e.g. passport)
4. List of documents from CIC
Air Canada Promotional Pricing for UWindsor Students
The University of Windsor and Air Canada have entered into a joint agreement to help international students travel to Canada, including accessing promotional rates to affordable flights to Canada.
Book on Air Canada
Ticketing Code: VCVK7761
Last day to book flight: November 29, 2022
Last day to travel by: December 30, 2022
By Bus: Robert Q shuttle service is operating on a limited schedule.
Please ensure you review the Robert Q Airbus website and in particular information about their COVID-19 preventative measures. Prior to departing from your home country, you should contact Robert Q directly to reserve your transportation.
By Air: Daily Air Canada flights are available from Toronto to Windsor. Departure dates and times vary by day.
By Train: VIA Rail Canada offers daily trips to Windsor as well.
Please visit their website to learn about the latest COVID-19 updates, service modifications and preventative health and safety measures.
**We do not advise the students to take a taxi from Toronto to Windsor as it is very costly.
Students are responsible for acquiring their own transportation once they land in Windsor. Taxi cabs are readily available from Windsor Airport and will cost you approximately $25.00 - $35.00. It is not recommended that you use a Taxi service to travel from Toronto to Windsor as it would cost hundreds of dollars. More reasonable means of transportation from Toronto can be found above.
Hotel Options in Toronto:
If you are planning to temporarily stay in Toronto after your journey, you may wish to contact one of the following hotels. It is up to you to contact them to secure the room and pay for your reservation.
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre (Close to Pearson Airport)
801 Dixon Rd., Toronto, ON M1W 1J5
- Hotel website: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/yyzds-sheraton-toronto-airport-hotel-and-conference-centre/overview/
- Guestrooms Features
- King or two queen beds
- In-room safes
- Flat-panel screen TVs
- Dual-line telephones, data port and voice mail
- Iron, ironing board and hairdryer
- Flexible work station
- Refrigerator (microwave, dishes and glassware are available upon request)
Edward Village Hotel Markham
50 E Valhalla Dr, Markham, ON L3R 0A3
- Hotel Direct Number: 905-477-2010
- Hotel Website: https://www.edwardvillagehotel.com/markham
- Main Contact: Theiva Kumaresan
- Cell Number: 647-299-4334
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation from Pearson to Edward Village Hotel Markham: Pearson Toronto Airport to the hotel-25 minutes and the taxi cost $55.00-$65.00
- Agreed Terms for Edward Village Hotel:
- Require a credit card number to guarantee the room reservation
- Hotel is monitored and managed by the on-site Manager on duty 24 hours
- The hotel will require 24 hours to prepare for arrivals
- Linen, sheets, and towels will be provided twice a week and placed outside the guestroom door and to be discussed
- Guest personal laundry items can be bagged and place outside the room at an additional fee of $7.00 per bag
- All guestrooms are non-smoking rooms and smoking is prohibited indoors at anytime
- Designated smoking areas are 15 meters away from the hotel building
- Indian meal delivery service may be available upon request.
Hotel Option in Windsor:
The University of Windsor recommends the following Windsor hotel accommodations for students who wish to temporarily stay at the hotel after their journey.
Howard Johnson Plaza by Wyndham Windsor | Windsor, ON Hotels (wyndhamhotels.com) NOW AVAILABLE FOR BOOKING.
2530 Ouellette Ave, Windsor, ON, N8X 1L7
- Wyndham Hotels: Booking URL
- Rate Plan Code LBU1.
- Corp ID # 1000049040
- When booking your hotel, you must inform them that you are a student from the University of Windsor and provide them with this code: UWIN.
- The University assumes no responsibility for expenses for hotels, food, transportation, damage to your room, etc.
- Rates: $59.99 per night + Taxes if booking 11 days or more or $87.00 per night for less than 11 days (plus applicable taxes) Price includes:
- A grab and go breakfast. The breakfast area is now open and the hotel offers complimentary continental breakfast
- Cleaning supplies (no daily room cleaning by housekeeping will be available)
- Tissues, toilet paper, extra towels, coffee/tea supplies for in room machine
- Arrangements to have personal items laundered must be made through the hotel front desk
- This pricing is only available by booking directly through the link provided or by calling the Hotel directly. It will not be available at this price if you book through a booking website.
- Indian vegetarian options available M-F $10.00 per meal. Meal charges must be paid directly to the meal delivery service or to the hotel. Students should contact the hotel upon their arrival for more information.