Conditions of a study permit holder

As a study permit holder, there are a number of conditions you need to meet. If you don’t meet these conditions, you may lose your student status and study permit. You may also have to leave Canada.

As a study permit holder, you must:
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time** during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
    • making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days** from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

You must also follow the other specific conditions listed on your study permit, which could include:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • if you’re allowed to work as a student** in Canada, including:
    • if you can work on or off campus, and
    • if you can complete a co-op work term or internship**
  • if you need to report for medical procedures
  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada, and
  • the date you must stop studying.
**You must study full time to be eligible for a Post Graduation Work Permit
**You cannot create your own break, if you take a leave of absence it must be approved and only for extenuating circumstances
**You must be a full time student to be eligible to work on/off campus
**You can only do a coop/internship if you are enrolled into a coop/internship program, and it is essential component of your program of study, you cannot do an coop/internship on your own