Phone: 519-253-3000 ext 2175
Office: Chrysler Hall North 1158
Elena Maltseva holds a PhD in Political Science from the University of Toronto (2012). She is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the University of Windsor in Windsor, Canada (2014-present). Prior to this position, Dr. Maltseva was an Assistant Professor of Political Science in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Nazarbayev University in Astana, Kazakhstan (2012-2014). Dr. Maltseva has been involved in a number of research projects funded by external agencies, including the UNDP Office in Kazakhstan, the Australian Walk Free Foundation and the ILO. Dr. Maltseva regularly presents at scholarly conferences and public events covering migration, social policy and gender issues in post-Soviet states, and the political situation in post-Soviet Russia. Recently Dr. Maltseva was invited to participate in the activities of the Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) “Global Dynamics of Social Policy”, organized by the University of Bremen, as an expert on post-Soviet social policy.
Dr. Maltseva specializes in comparative politics and comparative public policy of post-Soviet states, with particular interest in left-wing movements and state–society relations, as well as social, health, education, and gender policy, globalization and labour policy, and migration and human trafficking issues.
Her current research focuses on three main themes: left-wing politics in post-Soviet states; social security reforms in post-Soviet states; and globalization, labour issues and regime stability in Russia and Central Asia. At the moment Dr. Maltseva is completing several articles, which she plans to submit for review to peer-reviewed journals, and a book manuscript on the transformation of left-wing movements and political parties in post-Soviet states.
- POLS 1300 Comparative Politics in Changing World
- POLS 2330 Politics of the Developing World
- POLS 3990 Practicum in Government and Politics
- POLS 4310 Seminar in Comparative Politics: Revolutions, Social Movements and Contentious Politics
- POLS 4310 Seminar in Comparative Politics: The Politics and Security in Russia and Eurasia
- POLS 4650 Seminar in Globalization
- POLS 4880 Selected Topics in Political Science: Third World in International Relations
- POLS 8320 Third World in International Relations (graduate seminar)
- POLS 8910 Selected Topics in Political Science: Revolutions, Social Movements and Contentious Politics (graduate seminar)
- POLS 8910 Selected Topics in Political Science: The Politics and Security in Russia and Eurasia (graduate seminar)
Blind-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Maltseva, Elena, Framing a Welfare Reform: The Social Benefits Reform in Russia and Kazakhstan, Canadian Slavonic Papers/Revue Canadienne des Slavists, 58(3), 229-256, 2016.
- Schatz, Edward and Elena Maltseva, Assumed to be Universal: The Leap from Data to Knowledge in the American Political Science Review, Polity 44(3), 446–472, 2012.
- Schatz, Edward and Elena Maltseva, Kazakhstan’s Authoritarian ‘Persuasion’, Post-Soviet Affairs 28(1), 45–65, 2012.
- Maltseva, Elena, Health Care Crisis and Grassroots Social Initiative in Post-Communist Russia, Review of European and Russian Affairs 1(6), 1-15, 2011.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters
- (with Saltanat Janenova), "Case Studies: Kazakhstan," in Reversing Pension Privatizations: Rebuilding Public Pension Systems in Eastern Europe and Latin America, 199-232, International Labour Office - Geneva, 2018, Editor(s) - Isabel; Fabio Duran-Valverde; Stefan Urban; Veronika Wodsak.
- Maltseva, Elena and Saltanat Janenova, The Politics of Pension Reforms in Kazakhstan: Pressures for Change and Reform Strategies, in Social Policy, Poverty and Inequality in Central and Eastern Europe and The Former Soviet Union, London, UK: JH Publishing, forthcoming December 2018, Editor(s) - Sofiya An; Tatiana Chubarova; Bob Deacon; Paul Stubbs.
- Maltseva, Elena, Cracks in the System: What the Zhanaozen Incident Says about Regime Performance in Kazakhstan, in Paradox of Power: The Logics of State Weakness in Eurasia, 344p., University of Pittsburgh Press, 2017, Editor(s) - John Heathershaw; Edward Schatz.
- Maltseva, Elena, Lost and Forgotten: The Conflict Through the Eyes of the Donbass People, The Return of the Cold War: Ukraine, The West and Russia, 312p., Routledge, 2016, Editor(s) - Black, J. L.; Johns, Michael.
- Maltseva, Elena, The Challenges and Prospects of Reforming Russia's Higher Education System, Russia after 2012: From Putin to Medvedev to Putin- Community, Change, or Revolution?, 57-72, Routledge, 2013, Editor(s) - Black, Larry; Johns, Michael.
- Malteva, Elena, Reforming Russia's Social Benefits System: Challenges, Dynamics and Implications, From Putin to Medvedev. Community or Change?, 53-73, Penumbra Press, 2009, Editor(s) - Black, Larry; Johns, Michael.
- Christopher L. Pallas, Transnational Civil Society and the World Bank: Investigating Civil Society’s Potential to Democratize Global Governance, 196 p., Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 14, no. 2, 610-612, 2016, June.
- "From Stagnation to Recalibration: The Three Stages in the Transformation of the Russian Pension System." Russian Analytical Digest, No. 225 (8 October 2018), 9-13. Available at http://www.css.ethz.ch/content/specialinterest/gess/cis/center-for-securities-studies/de/publications/rad/details.html?id=/n/o/2/2/no_225_russias_pension_reform. (Invited)
- Elena Maltseva and Saltanat Janenova, "Reversing Pension Privatization in Kazakhstan," ESS - Working Paper No. 67, Social Protection Department, International Labour Office, Geneva, 2018. Available at: https://www.social-protection.org/gimi/RessourcePDF.action?ressource.ressourceId=55308&fbclid=IwAR05RVQ0fYEw7-fJaXBs__60wmLXzu_lxMhb0-UDCz29A0SQzIROgrfZUhQ.
- Maltseva, Elena; Schenk, Caress; McCarthy, Lauren; Poletayev, Dmitry; Mokhova, Maria, The State of Illegal Migration, Human Trafficking and Labour Servitude in the Russian Federation, The 2016 Global Slavery Index at http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/country/russia/, Walk Free Foundation, 2016, The Russian Country Study.
- Maltseva, Elena; Janenova, Saltanat, The Case of Kazakhstan's 2013 Pension Reform, The Social Protection Department of the International Labour Organization (ILO), 2017, Research Report.
- Maltseva, Elena; Schenk, Caress; McEvoy, Gwen; Whitsel, Christopher, Analysis of Social and Legal Services Available to Victims of Human Trafficking in Kazakhstan, Internal use by the UNDP Kazakhstan and the Ministry of Justice of Kazakhstan, Nazarbayev University, 2013, Research Report.