Phone: 519-253-3000 ext 2354
Office: Chrysler Hall North 1148
My Phd in Political Science is from York University (1998). Prior to that, my MA in International Relations was from the Norman Paterson School at Carleton (1990), while my undergrad was a Bachelor of Journalism from Carleton (1988).
My research is primarily focussed on Canadian foreign and defence policy, although earlier in my career my focus was on nuclear strategy and weapons proliferation. My current research projects all relate to issues involving the Canadian Forces, and specifically the ways in which budgetary challenges are affecting this country's ability to field modern defence forces and to take part in multilateral coalitions.
- POLS 1600 Introduction to International Relations
- POLS 2640 Introduction to Canadian Foreign Policy
- POLS 2670 Strategic Studies
- POLS 2450 Contemporary Issues in International Relations
- POLS 4950 Advanced Topics in Canadian Foreign Policy
- POLS 4960 Advanced Topics in International Security
- POLS 8230 Canadian Foreign Policy
- POLS 8340 International Security
- The Rapid need for rapid response tests, (Financial Post Article, September 2020)
- Canada's failure to sign vaccine agreements, (National Post Article, August 2020)
- Think the Government is taking a long time making a decision on Huawei, National Post Article, June 2020)
- Avoiding Armageddon: Canadian Military Strategy and Nuclear Weapons, 1950-1963, (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2002).
- Richter, Andrew, "Sharing the Burden? US Allies, Defence Spending, and the Future of NATO," Comparative Strategy, 35(4), 298-314, 2016.
- Richter, Andrew, "A Defence Renaissance? The Canadian Conservative Government and the Military," The American Review of Canadian Studies, 43(3), 424-450, 2013.
- Richter, Andrew, "Permanent Allies? The Canada-US Defence Relationship in the 21st Century," Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, 12(1), 2009.
- Richter, Andrew, Avoiding Armageddon: Canadian Military Strategy and Nuclear Weapons, 1950-1963, (Vancouver: UBC Press and Michigan State University Press, 2002).