Academic Planning for Undergraduate Students

Whether you are a first-year student or a returning student, this section will assist you in making decisions that move you forward in your four-year degree (see below for planning forms).  As an newly accepted undergraduate student into one of the Department of Integrative Biology (iBio) programs, you will need to start choosing your semester courses.  In first year, the majority of your courses are required so most of the decision-making will revolve around scheduling your lectures and labs.  As you progress through your 2nd – 4th year of study, you will usually experience greater choices with your courses but often fewer choices in the scheduling. If you are interested in including an Undergraduate Thesis (usually taken in the final year of study), you will need to identify a supervisor for your study (usually during your 3rd year of study), complete a BIOL-4904 Undergraduate Research Application form, and then contact the course instructor for permission to enrol.

Related to Registration and Program Completion:

Academic Advising Forms are available for all Major programs (Honours Biological Sciences (with or without Thesis) and Honours Behaviour, Cognition and Neuroscience (with or without Thesis), as well as for a Combined Honours program (see Other Information below), to assist with identifying and completing all program course requirements during the degree.  You should check the course boxes as each course requirement is completed.  Be sure to confirm that your sheet aligns with your program information on UWinsite, since it is UWinsite that the Registrar’s office uses to determine that you have completed all program requirements for graduation.  When registering for courses, choosing appropriate courses to meet program requires is important.  To aid with these decisions, two documents, a) List of courses offered by Science that do not count as Science courses and b) Categories of UWindsor courses, are posted (see Other Information below).  The former identifies Science courses (e.g. BIOL, BIOM, BIOC, CHEM, PHYS course codes) that do not count towards your degree and the latter indicates which course codes are considered to be Arts courses or Social Science courses (or another area of study) .  If there are any questions or concerns about your degree, or you have questions about changing programs or adding/removing a Minor or Certificate, set up an advising appoint to meet with one of the faculty members listed below using  Alternatively, you can email or contact the Biology office (519-253-3000, ext. 2696).



Other Information: