Income Tax Information

As a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you want to receive a refund from the government.

Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive these payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.

We will offer free virtual tax clinics to all international students on campus. Please wait for email updates through Brightspace for the weekly schedule.

You must file an income tax return to receive credits such as:

  • The GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax)
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit payments
  • Provincial or Territorial tax credits.

Make sure to have all of the necessary documentation with you to get your tax refunds ready.

Please have the following documents with you:

  1. T2202 - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (Available on Uwinsite Student)
  2. Rent Receipts
  3. T4 - Statement of Remuneration
  4. T4A - Statement of Other Income
  5. Medical and Donation Receipts
  6. Passport
  7. USB Flash Drive
  8. SIN or Individual Tax Number
  9. Bank information for direct deposit (a blank cheque will do)
  10. Study Permit/ Work permit

Check Brighspace for the latest Tax Clinic schedule