As a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you want to receive a refund from the government.
Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive these payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.
We will offer free tax clinics to all international students on campus. Please wait for email updates through Blackboard for the weekly schedule and walk-in hours.
You must file an income tax return to receive credits such as:
- The GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax)
- Canada Child Tax Benefit payments
- Provincial or Territorial tax credits.
Make sure to bring all the necessary documentation with you to get your tax refunds ready.
Please bring the following documents with you:
- T2202A - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (Available on SIS)
- Rent Receipts
- T4 - Statement of Remuneration
- T4A - Statement of Other Income
- Medical and Donation Receipts
- USB Flash Drive
- SIN or Individual Tax Number
- Bank information for direct deposit (a blank cheque will do)
Check Blackboard for the latest Tax Clinic schedule