Welcome to Information Technology Services at the University of Windsor!
As our name suggests, we provide technology and related services to UWindsor faculty, staff and students in support of the University's academic, research and administrative goals.
The information on this page is intended to help new faculty members with their technology needs and questions as they settle into their roles. Additional information regarding the technologies, services and resources highlighted below can be found in the UWindsor IT Self-Service Client Portal.
Your UWin Account is your personal digital identification for accessing several online services at UWindsor.
If you have not been previously employed by UWindsor:
- A new UWin Account request must be submitted in advance by a departmental sponsor.
- Once IT Services has set up your UWin Account, you will be emailed an activation code and must complete the activation process.
If you have been previously employed by UWindsor:
- If you have been previously employed by UWindsor AND your UWin Account has been disabled, an Employee Onboarding request must be submitted in advance by a departmental sponsor.
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) combines two or more independent credentials or "factors" – typically what you know (e.g. your password) paired with something you have (e.g. your mobile phone) – to create a second layer of security for your UWin Account.
The first time you try to access one of UWindsor’s MFA-protected services and apps from a non-trusted location (off-campus networks) you will receive a “More information required” message and be required to set up your secondary authentication method. To do so, please follow the instructions in this knowledge base article.
UWindsor’s MFA-protected services and apps include:
NOTE: The secondary authentication will only be required when accessing UWindsor’s MFA-protected services and apps from a non-trusted location (off-campus networks). Using the University's virtual private network (VPN) avoids the secondary authentication.
Due to COVID-19, most UWindsor faculty and staff will be working remotely for at least the start of the Fall 2020 semester. As such, a suitable workspace should be identified, taking into account safety, ergonomics, privacy and confidentiality. Ideally, this remote workspace will be within a residence you own or occupy and should be kept private (i.e. free from visitors) to ensure the protection of University systems and information.
For the purposes of working remotely, the term “equipment” includes but is not limited to any information technology hardware (i.e. personal computer, smart device, network device, etc.) and software that is used to access University systems and information.
Procurement and Set Up
If available, all employees, including faculty members, shall use University-owned computing devices to connect to University systems and information. IT Services assists with the procurement and configuration of University computers (i.e. desktops, laptops) and mobile devices. To support this process, the University has established preferred vendor agreements that leverage standard devices and configuration options as well as discounted pricing.
Where University-owned equipment is not available to employees and use of personal devices is necessary, employees should look to access University systems via online software versions (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), manage all documents through OneDrive, and ensure proper computer safety protocols (e.g. use anti-virus, connect using VPN, update and reboot regularly, etc.) are followed. Efforts should be made to ensure University documents are not downloaded or stored to personal devices given data privacy requirements unless critical to carrying out required job duties.
Employees should strive to limit mixing of professional and personal activity on the device. Logout and close all work-related programs and web browsers where possible before engaging in personal computing or sharing the device with another user (such as family members or roommates). Use a separate user account for work-related activity to increase security. Enable an inactivity screen lock to prevent accidental use of the work account by others.
Loss or Breach
In the event of a loss of equipment or potential breach of privacy or confidentiality, faculty members must inform their respective Department Head as soon as is reasonably possible, as well as the IT Service Desk at 519-253-3000 ext. 4440.
UWindsor takes cybersecurity very seriously. IT Services asks all campus community members to:
- Be aware that higher education is a target for thieves and spies
- Use recommended software and hardware configurations
- Use mobile devices that are still under support from vendor (less than 3 years old)
- Use anti-virus software
- Utilize the University’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) when accessing systems from off-campus locations
- Get software from app stores and media from legitimate services (e.g. Google Play, Netflix)
- Patch, update and restart computers and devices regularly
- Preserve confidentiality by using Teams and OneDrive instead of social media and Dropbox
- Keep work and personal activity separate
- Slow down and think critically; when in doubt, call someone
More information about cybersecurity is available here: www.uwindsor.ca/cybersecurity.
IT Services supports the Microsoft 365 Apps productivity / collaboration suite of tools including:
- Outlook and Outlook on the web
- Email, Calendar, Contacts
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Publisher, Visio, and Project
- Productivity tools to support campus teaching, learning and operational activities
- Cloud file storage of up 1TB
- Microsoft Teams & Groups
- Collaborate with colleagues on a single platform for chat, meetings, file sharing, video conferencing, etc.
- Microsoft Stream
- Video sharing/streaming site
- Shared Mailbox
- Utilized for project or group related emails
myUWinfo is UWindsor’s gateway to human resource information.
When you access this secure website(using your UWinID@uwindsor.ca and UWin Account password) you will be able to access your payroll, tax, pension and other important human resource information.
There are also links to employment information that you may need such as benefit booklets, collective agreements, online training, and much more.
myUWinfo support resources can be found at www.uwindsor.ca/myuwinfo/help.
Access Information Systems
Blackboard is UWindsor’s Learning Management System (LMS). It provides instructors and students with an integrated technological environment for their teaching and learning activities.
Bookmark or favourite blackboard.uwindsor.ca to sign in.
Blackboard resources include:
- UWindsor’s Blackboard Online Self-Help pages
- Training for Instructors and their assistants for Blackboard
Need assistance with Blackboard? Open a ticket.
UWinsite Finance is UWindsor’s financial information platform. As a faculty member, you are most likely to use it for submitting expense claims as well self-service procurement.
Bookmark or favourite www.uwindsor.ca/uwinsitefinance. Use it to sign in to UWinsite Finance as well as find resources to help you use the platform effectively.
Need assistance with UWinsite Finance? Open a ticket.
UWinsite Student is UWindsor’s student information platform. As a faculty member, you will use it to:
- Find your class schedule
- Find your class rosters
- Grant class permissions
- Find your final exam schedule
- Input grades (and grade changes when necessary)
- Address grade appeals
Bookmark or favourite www.uwindsor.ca/uwinsitestudent. Use it to sign in to UWinsite Student as well as find resources to help you use the platform effectively.
Need assistance with UWinsite Student? Open a ticket.
- IT Services Help and Support
- IT Services Policies
- IT Services News and System Status Updates
- Tech Talk - byte-sized video how-tos and tips for leveraging ITS-supported software
- Self-Directed Learning (Linked In Learning)
- Software Distribution and Support
- A comprehensive listing of services provided by IT Services can also be referenced in the IT Services A - Z guide