Dr. Scott Martyn
B.A. (University of Western)
M.A. (University of Western Ontario)
Ph.D. (University of Western Ontario)
Dr. Scott Martyn is a Professor in the Faculty of Human Kinetics at the University of Windsor and a Distinguished Professor at Beijing Sport University, Beijing, China. The major focus of his research is on the connections between sport and commerce, spending much of his time investigating the evolution of the International Olympic Committee and affiliated insignia as sport marketing properties. He is the founding Director of the International Centre for Sport and Leisure Studies and has served on the executive council of the International Centre for Olympic Studies, the North American Society for Sport History and the International Society for Comparative Physical Education and Sport. Dr. Martyn is currently on the Board of Directors of the Windsor/Essex County Sports Hall of Fame and Museum and the Windsor/Essex Sports Council. An accomplished teacher, graduate advisor, researcher and administrator, he has amassed an extensive list of edited volumes, book chapters, articles, and conference presentations. He co-authored Selling the Five Rings: The IOC and the Rise of Olympic Commercialism (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2002, rev. ed., 2004), and Tarnished Rings: The International Olympic Committee and the Salt Lake City Bid Scandal (Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2011). Dr. Martyn is past-editor of International Sports Studies, past managing editor of Olympika: The International Journal of Olympic Studies, and is an editorial board member and guest reviewer for a wide variety of journals and agencies.
Areas of Research Interest
- History of the Modern Olympic Movement
- History of Olympic Commercialism
- International Sport and Multiculturalism
- Socio-Economic Aspects of Sport
- Sport History
1. Stephen Wenn, Robert Barney, and Scott Martyn, Tarnished Rings: The International Olympic Committee and the Salt Lake City Bid Scandal ( Syracuse, NY, Syracuse University Press, 2011).
2. Robert K. Barney, Stephen R. Wenn, and Scott G. Martyn, Selling the Five Rings: The IOC and the Rise of Olympic Commercialism [Revised Edition] (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2004).
Key Scholarly Activities:
1. Taks, M; Green, C. B; Chalip, L; Kesenne, S; Martyn, S G., Visitor Composition and Event-Related Spending, International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, 7(2), 132-147, 2013, June, Special issue on Festival Tourism.
2. Taks, M; Chalip, L; Green, C; Martyn, S. G; Kesenne, S, Economic Impact Study versus Cost Benefit Analysis: An Empirical Example of a Medium Sized International Sporting Event, International Journal of Sport Finance, 6(3), 187-203, 2011, August, Volume 6 Issue 3.
3. Martyn, S. G; Wenn, S. R, A Prelude to Samaranch: Lord Killanin's Path to Olympic Commercialism, Journal of Olympic History (Special Issue), 200-208, 2009, November, Olympic Congress, Copenhagen.
4. Girginov, V; Taks, M.; Boucher, B; Martyn, S. G.; Holman, M; Dixon, J, Canadian National Sport Organisations use of the Web for relationship marketing in promoting sport participation, International Journal of Sport Communication, 2, 164-184, 2009.
1. Martyn, S. G., "A Changing of the Guard: The Future of the TOP Program," 42nd Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History, Glenwood Springs, Colorado, USA, May 2014.
2. Martyn, S. G., "An Essential Alliance: The IOC, ISL and the USOC," 41st Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History, Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 2013.
3. Martyn, S. G., "Samaranch Sparkles in Washington: A Turning Point in the Public's Perception of the Worst Scandal in Olympic History," 40th Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History, Berkeley, California, USA, June 2012.
4. Martyn, S. G., "Sharing Memories: The Spectators Scrapbook of the 1932 Lake Placid Olympic Winter Games, 39th Annual Convention of the North American Society for Sport History, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA, June 2011.
5. Bradish, C; Dixon, J. C.; Martyn, S. G.; Weese, J., "Preparing our students for the world's stage?: Perceptions of sport management student readiness for the 2010 Olympic Games," 26th Annual Conference of the North American Society for Sport Management, June 2011.
6. Martyn, S, G., "Responding to an Olympics Crisis: The IOC and the Salt Lake City Bidding Scandal, Law, Policy and the Olympic Movement," Conference on Law, Policy and the Olympic Movement, Ithaca College London Center, London, UK, May 2011.