Dr. Eddy joined the Department of Kinesiology in 2017 in the area of Sport Management. He previously held Assistant Professor positions in Sport Management at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA, and St. John’s University in Queens, New York, USA. Dr. Eddy earned his Ph.D. in Sport Administration in 2011 from the University of Northern Colorado and holds a Masters in Sport Management from West Virginia University. He also holds Bachelors and Masters degrees in Pure Mathematics from Memorial University in St. John’s, NL, Canada.
Dr. Eddy’s research centres around sport marketing; particularly sponsorship and consumer behavior. His research has been published in a number of academic journals, including Sport Management Review, Sport Marketing Quarterly, International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, International Journal of Sport Management, International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, International Journal of Sport Communication, International Journal of Sport Finance, Journal of Applied Sport Management, Journal of Sport Behavior, and Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics. Dr. Eddy has also presented his research at several national and international conferences, and currently serves on the editorial review board for Sport Marketing Quarterly, Frontiers in Sports and Active Living, and Case Studies in Sport Management.
Areas of Research Interest
- Sport marketing
- Sport sponsorship
- Sport consumer behaviour
- Social media marketing in sport
- Sport finance and economics
- Eddy, T., Gee, S., & Millar, P. (2019). SSHRC Partnership Engage grant. What’s in a name? Examining the brand relationship between a professional sport organization and its corporate social responsibility initiative. $24,670
- Eddy, T. (2019). UWindsor-SSHRC Explore grant (internal). Consumer attitudes toward prominent sponsorship activation strategies. $4,542
Selected journal publications:
- Eddy, T., Gee, S., & Reams, L. (In Press). Examining the impact of a new beer sponsor on attitudes and behavioural intentions toward American college football teams. In S. Gee (Ed.), Sport, Alcohol and Social Inquiry: A Global Cocktail (pp. tba). Bingley, UK: Emerald Publishing. (Peer-reviewed research compilation)
- Eddy, T., & Cork, B. C. (2019). Sponsorship antecedents and outcomes in participant sport settings. International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship, 20(1), 26-42.
- Eddy, T., Reams, L., & Dwyer, B. (2019). Attitudes toward rival teams’ naming-rights sponsors: The influence of perceived strength of rivalry. In C. Havard (Ed.), Understanding rivalry and its influence on sport fans (pp. 182-204). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. (Peer-reviewed research compilation)
- Havard, C. T, & Eddy, T. (2019). Impact of negative media stories on fan perceptions and behavior toward rival teams. International Journal of Sport Management, 20(2), 1-21.
- Lee, Y., Love, A., Eddy, T., & Young, M. (2018). Fan identification, rivalry perceptions, and behaviors of college football fans. Journal of Sport Behavior, 41(4), 402-423.
- Reams, L., & Eddy, T. (2017). The impact of rivalry antecedents on mediated demand for an individual sport. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 26(4), 247-260.
- Rascher, D., Eddy, T., & Hyun, G. (2017). What drives endorsement values for superstar athletes? Journal of Applied Sport Management, 9(2), 1-10.
- Cork, B. C., & Eddy, T. (2017). The retweet as a function of eWOM: A study of athlete endorsement activity on Twitter. International Journal of Sport Communication, 10(1), 1-16.
- Eddy, T., Reams, L., & Dittmore, S. (2016). Motivations and mediated consumption habits of mixed martial arts online message board users. International Journal of Sport Communication, 9(4), 440-459.
- Eddy, T., & Cork, B. C. (2016). Differences between consumer segments’ behavioral intentions in a naming-rights sponsorship scenario. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 9, 142-162.
- Eddy, T., Rascher, D., & Stewart, R. (2016). Where is everyone? An examination of attendance at college football bowl games. International Journal of Sport Finance, 11(1), 26-45.
- Reams, L. & Eddy, T., & Cork, B. C. (2015). Consumer points of attachment and sponsorship outcomes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 91-104.
- Eddy, T. (2014). Measuring effects of naming-rights sponsorships on fan purchasing intentions. Sport Management Review, 17, 362-375.