Associate Dean — Academic Programs
Phone: (519)253-3000, ext. 4982
Office: H.K. Building Room 106
Postdoctoral Fellow: Propel, University of Waterloo
PhD: Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo (Nutrition)
MSc: University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
BPE University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
I am a multidisciplinary researcher who strives to advance the health and wellness among Canadian children and adolescents. More specifically, I am a community-based researcher who investigates the environmental influences (e.g., family, peers, school, media) on nutrition, physical activity, body image, and other health outcomes. Much of my research is done in partnership with various public health units, the Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa Association (BANA), Leadership Advancement for Women and Sport (LAWS), and the Ontario Student Nutrition Program.
Health & wellness of Canadians
Nutrition and physical activity patterns, behaviours, and attitudes
Environmental influences on health outcomes
Research and Publications
- Coyne P, Csabai B, Woodruff SJ. A social media give and take: What young adults would give up to stay connected. Int J Soc Media and Online Comm. 2023; 15(1), 1-19.
- Santarossa S, Woodruff SJ. Maternal modeling Online: Assessing the dynamics of mother/daughter dyads on social networking sites using the actor-partner interdependence model. Int J Soc Media and Online Comm. 2023; 15(1), 1-20.
- Coyne P, Voth J, Woodruff SJ. A comparison of self-report and objective measurements of smartphone and social media usage. Telmatics and Informatics Reports. 2023; online first May 3.
- Fetter S, Coyne P, Monk S, Woodruff SJ. An exploration of social media users’ desires to become social media influencers. Media Watch. 2023; 14(2): 200-216.
- Coyne P, Munroe-Chandler KJ, Woodruff SJ. A content and thematic analysis of body-positive children’s picture books. J Children’s Literature. 2022; 48(2): 44-58.
- Reagan R, Woodruff SJ, Seabrook J, Gilliland J. A randomized control trial of a Canadian-based school food program on the home environment. Health Promo Int. 2022; 37: 1-12.
- Coyne P, Kustra E, Woodruff SJ. Let’s talk about it: Digital approaches for disseminating and communicating health research and innovation. J Public Health Man Pract. 2022; 28(5): 541-9.
- Coyne P, Woodruff SJ. Giving students choice: Does the use of a flexible assessment weighting scheme result in better student grades? Int J Teach Learn Higher Ed. 2022; 33(3): 398-406.
- Colley P, Seabrook J, Woodruff SJ, Gilliland J. Examining elementary school children’s knowledge about food and nutrition in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Can J Diet Pract Research. 2022; 83(2): 59-67.
- Coyne P, Santarossa S, Dufour E, Greenham C, Woodruff SJ. #BodyIssue: An analysis of the conversation surrounding the 2016 and 2017 ESPN’s Body Issue men athletes on Instagram. Social Media in Society. 2022; 11(1):46-59.
- Krieger M, Santarossa S, Bours S, Woodruff SJ. Men’s comments on elite women athletes: Cultural narratives around gender and sport on Instagram. Feminist Media Studies. 2022 (March): 1-16.