Acting Head, Department of Kinesiology
Phone: (519)253-3000, ext. 4982
Office: H.K. Building Room 139
Postdoctoral Fellow: Propel, University of Waterloo
PhD: Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo (Nutrition)
MSc: University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
BPE University of New Brunswick (Kinesiology)
Health & wellness of Canadians
Body weight management (energy balance)
Nutrition and physical activity patterns, behaviours, and attitudes
Environmental influences on health outcomes
Nutrition and physical activity assessment methodologies
I am a multidisciplinary researcher who strives to advance the health and wellness among Canadian children and adolescents. More specifically, I am a community-based researcher who investigates the environmental influences (e.g., family, peers, school, media) on nutrition, physical activity, body image, and other health outcomes. Much of my research is done in partnership with various public health units, the Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa Association (BANA), Leadership Advancement for Women and Sport (LAWS), and the Ontario Student Nutrition Program.
- Santarossa S, Woodruff SJ. Using focus groups to understand the dynamics of mothers and daughters on social networking sites. J Child Fam Studies (Published online Feb, 2020).
- Santarossa S, Coyne P, Woodruff SJ, Greenham CG. #BodyIssue and Instagram: A gender disparity in conversation, coverage, and content in ESPN The Magazine. Int J Sport Comm. 2019; 12(3): 336-53.
- Lacasse J, Santarossa S, Woodruff SJ. #yoga on Instagram: Understanding yogic principles in the online conversation and community. Int J Yoga. 2019; 12(2): 153-7.
- Coyne P, Vandenborn E, Santarossa S, Milne M, Milne K, Woodruff SJ. Physical literacy improves with the Run Jump Throw Wheel program among students in grades 4-6 from Southwestern Ontario. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2019; 44(6): 645-9.
- Coyne P, Dube P, Santarossa S, Woodruff SJ. The relationship between physical literacy and moderate to vigorous physical activity among children 8-12 years from Southwestern Ontario. Physical and Health Education Journal. 2019; 84(4):1-17.
- Woodruff SJ. Fruit and vegetable intake and preferences associated with the Northern Fruit and Vegetable Program (2014-2016). Can J Diet Pract Res. 2019; 80(2): 72-8.
- Santarossa S, Lacasse J, Larocque J, Woodruff SJ. #Orthorexia on Instagram: Exploring the online conversation and community using the Netlytic software. Eating and Weight Disord. 2019; 24(2): 283-90.