My teaching-related publications focus on international student success and student retention of special populations and under-represented students.
My most recent teaching-related publication focused on promising practices for teaching culturally and linguistically-diverse international students. My research colleague, Dr. George Zhou, and I published the IGI Global book, Handbook of Research on Teaching Strategies for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse International Students.
I also co-authored an Open Educational Resource (OER) online textbook, Theories of Individual and Collective Learning, with a recent M.Ed. graduate, Carson Babich. Previously, we coauthored Leadership and Management in Learning Organizations with Mark Lubrick from the Office of Open Learning. Both OER textbooks were designed to support student learning in the Minor in Organizational Learning and Teaching courses (EDU-4200 Theories of Individual and Collective Learning, and EDU-4150 Learning Organizations: Management and Leadership). These publications are available free through eCampusOntario.
Working with the Office of Open Learning and undergraduate student researchers through our Outstanding Scholars program and Mitacs Globalink, I am also working on the development of an online tool to bring our recent research on international student teaching strategies to the attention of instructors engaged in the teaching of international students globally.
I recently worked with Royal Roads University to develop a stackable graduate certificate in Strategic Enrolment Management. This included the development of two new courses: Enrolment Management: Theory and Practice, and Strategic Enrolment Planning.
Additional professional contributions include:
- Smith, C., Zhou, G., Potter, M., & Ammar, F. (2021). Engaging diverse international students: Promising online teaching practices (Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse International Students in Open and Online Learning Environments Research Symposium), virtual.
- Smith, C., Babich, C., & Lubrick, M. (2021). An open education journey: Connecting student affordability with pedagogical enhancement (Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference), virtual.
- (Smith, C., Babich, C., & Lubrick, M. (2021). Connecting today’s postsecondary classroom to the open future, Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education Conference, virtual.
- Leary, T., Veletsianos, G., Schinnerl, S., & Smith, C., (2020). Virtual summit – Pondering possibilities: Perspectives on the Canadian digital campus (Royal Roads University), virtual.
- Smith, C., & Kerlin, C. (2020). SEM institute. A pre-conference workshop presented at the Strategic Enrollment Management Conference (American AssociatIon of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers), virtual.
- Smith, C. (2019). Connecting best practices for teaching linguistically and culturally-diverse international students with international student satisfaction and student perceptions of learning (Global Conference on Education and Research), Sarasota, FL.
- Smith, C. (2019). Connecting best practices for teaching linguistically and culturally-diverse international student satisfaction and student perceptions of learning (Ireland International Conference on Education), Dún Laoghaire, Ireland.
- Smith, C., Zhou, G., Potter, M., Wang, D., & Pecoraro, M. (2019). Connecting best practices for teaching linguistically and culturally-diverse international students with international student satisfaction and student perceptions of learning (University of Windsor Teaching and Learning Conference), Windsor, ON.
- Smith, C., & Wang, D. (2017). Towards a culture that values teaching: Connecting best practices for teaching linguistically-diverse international students with international student satisfaction (University of Windsor-Oakland University International Conference on Teaching and Learning), Windsor, ON.