Dr. Smith contributes to the research mission of the University of Windsor by engaging with colleagues and university students in research that supports the improvement of the student experience both at the University of Windsor and in post-secondary education generally.
He is currently engaged in research to explore:
- the promising teaching practices for teaching linguistically and culturally diverse international students by identifying the teaching practices that have high levels of international student satisfaction and perceptions of student learning
- the use of Open Educational Resources (OER) to enhance interdisciplinary teaching and learning in a higher education classroom
- the application of the Strategic Enrolment Management (SEM) model within the Canadian higher education context
- the outcomes/effectiveness of student mentoring in a postsecondary concurrent education program
- professional insights for the successful implementation of peer mentoring programs for undergraduate teacher candidates
- the sense of belonging for international students at Ontario secondary schools
Dr. Smith's research looks to amplify the student voice in his scholarship.