image of health insurance papers on desk with laptop, stethoscope and globe in the background with guard me logo

Health Insurance

GuardMe Health Insurance is mandatory for students registering as international students at the University of Windsor. Unless you are able to prove health coverage from one of the UWindsor approved insurers you will be insured through GuardMe. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information please contact

Visit's UWindsor website where students can:

  • Purchase Early Arrival, GAP policies, or insurance for their dependents 
  • View the policy documents
  • View information on how to find a Canadian Clinic, mobile Doctor and healthcare access card (HAC).
    • The healthcare access card is their proof of insurance, and this card can be used at pharmacies and dental office, for direct billing for eligible expenses.
  • Register or log into “My Account” and access their policy number, policy details and submit a claim.
    • Students need to use the primary email registered to their policy, to register or log into their account.
  • Use the  “Chat with Us” button on the bottom right corner to chat with our customer care team for any questions students may have.

To learn more about's valuable services:
Visit the main website

Read the informative brochure (.pdf format)

Students who provide proof of coverage under one of the following programs may opt out of You must provide proof of your health insurance coverage to our office upon your arrival.

  • Canadian International Development Agency Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
  • Green Shield Canada
  • International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
  • National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
  • World University Service of Canada Plan
  • Embassy of Kuwait
  • Interim Federal Health Care Plan
  • Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
  • Libyan Plan
  • Schlumberger Plan
  • Fletcher Allen

Once enrolled in academic programs, international students will use the University's Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP).