Health Insurance

Health Plans & Services

**NEWLY ARRIVED STUDENTS** Green Shield - OHIP Equivalent Health Insurance Plan Refund Information

As an international student, it is mandatory for you to have health insurance coverage while residing in Canada starting from the first day of your arrival. If you are a newly arrived student you will be eligible for a pro-rated refund ONLY for the unused portion of the premiums paid in advance of the Health Insurance International Fees

Learn More

All International Students studying at the University of Windsor that are enrolled in an academic program, will automatically be enrolled and assessed into two (2) different Health Plans

  1. Basic Green Shield Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) – OHIP Equivalent
  2. Supplemental Plan - Drug & Dental

Learn More

On-campus Services

Room 293 CAW Student Centre 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Monday - Friday

519-253-3000, ext. 4616

Download the MySSP app to Call or chat with a student support advisor 24/7. You will be connected with an Advisor, who can help you. Download the free app called My SSP app from your device’s app store (available on Apple and Android devices). Advisors and supporting materials are available in English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, or Spanish. If you would like to speak to someone in a different language, MySSP can access licensed counsellors in up to an additional 30 languages.

  • The MySSP (Student Support Program) is tailored to provide connections 24 hours a day to licensed and trained counsellors who can provide advice on:

    • adapting to new cultures;
    • success in studies;
    • relationships with family and friends;
    • everyday issues while studying abroad;
    • stress, anxiety, loneliness, and more.
  • MySSP Staff and Faculty Reference Guide

Room 242, CAW Student Centre 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday - Friday
519-253-3000, ext. 7002

Room 208, CAW Student Centre, 12 to 8 p.m.,

24-hour-crisis line, staffed by trained mental health professionals.
1-866-925-5454 (Post-Secondary Student Helpline)

24-hour crisis line:

Ouellette Campus Emergency Department, 1030 Ouellette Avenue


  • Canadian International Development Agency Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Bureau for International Education Health Care Plan
  • Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
  • International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
  • National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
  • World University Service of Canada Plan
  • Embassy of Kuwait
  • Interim Federal Health Care Plan
  • Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
  • Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
  • Libyan Plan
  • Schlumberger Plan
  • Fletcher Allen

Please note that the International Student Centre does not endorse any specific health insurance company, it is up to you to make an educated choice.

You can contact any one of the following for post-graduation health insurance:

Make sure you indicate that you are a recent graduate of the University of Windsor looking for OHIP equivalent insurance or it may also be referred to "travel insurance".

NOTE: OHIP equivalent insurance will not be provided by your employer, however, you are eligible to apply for OHIP once you have secured full-time employment.