The Faculty of Nursing's Faculty and Staff is currently working online until further notice. We appreciate your patience and understand you may have many questions. Please review our Nursing FAQs and updates below. Our faculty and staff are working hard to provide you information as soon as it becomes available. Please do not hesitate to contact us - the nursing office, your course professors, clinical instructors, Student Success Coordinator. We are available by phone, email and through other digital means. Presently, email is the best method of communication. Please note: our office is unattended during this time. If you have specific questions about your coursework or clinical, please communicate directly with your course professor clinical instructor/faculty advisor unless otherwise directed.
General information is also available on our Coronavirus website, which is regularly updated and includes resources for students, instructors and researchers.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation,
Faculty of Nursing
COVID-19 Nursing FAQ & Updates
Faculty of Nursing Program Information
Worried about online learning in Nursing? Fall 2020 Online Learning Webinars are available. Please visit http://learn.uwindsor.ca/uwin-online to view powerpoint presentation or to hear video recording of the webinar.
Nursing has also created a video about online learning. It is accessible on the Nursing Student Support Centre Blackboard site under events.
FAQs for instructors and students regarding Fall 2020 are available on the COVID-19 website: https://www.uwindsor.ca/coronavirus/303/coronavirus-faq
A. For updates regarding registration, please visit: http://www.uwindsor.ca/registrar/515/registration-information
New to campus? Check out our registration resources including videos, webinars and much more: http://learn.uwindsor.ca/plan-your-program#registration-guides
- Don't forget to complete your "First Time Activation" and "Extend your uwinsite services" to activate your email and much more! https://www.uwindsor.ca/registrar/uwinsite-student
- Students need to set up Multifactor Authentication to work off camus: https://www.uwindsor.ca/itservices/multifactor
- I.T is here to help: https://www.uwindsor.ca/itservices/support/ticket or https://uwindsor.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/1975/Portal/Requests/ServiceCatalog?CategoryID=10620
- Check out social media at the University of Windsor. Follow UWindsor Nursing on Twitter!! Watch our Nursing Takeover on Instagram!
A. Please read the following:
- Due to COVID-19, all Fall 2020 courses will be offered remotely.
- If you have questions about a course that you are taking, please contact your course professor directly.
- Alternatives to in-person final examinations are being implemented: Final assessments will be conducted remotely. Your course professor will have additional information for you.
A. Information regarding clinical placements has been sent to all nursing students via email dated June 29th, 2020, with subsequent updates provided July 20th, 2020 and August 21st, 2020. Please note, work restrictions are in effect for students at this time. Please continue to monitor your email and the clinical course blackboard site for details.
Clinical courses are running in the Fall for 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year students in the hospital. Students should register for all courses including clinical and labs as per the Course Sequence Guide posted under “Resources for Current Students” on the Faculty of Nursing website https://www.uwindsor.ca/nursing/345/resources-current-students
A. All Fall 2020 lab courses will be offered remotely. Students in year 2 and year 3 will automatically be placed in your clinical course and will show up on your timetable. If you have any questions about a course you are taking, please contact your course professor directly.
A. No, the building is secured and the general and SIM lab spaces are not open.
- If you would like an appointment for skills practice, please email the Clinical Lab Coordinator; Lacey Rivest: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual peer mentors are available through Microsoft Teams. Please contact Lacey Rivest by email email@example.com to book an appointment.
- If you have questions about the SIM lab, please contact: Dr. Debbie Rickeard: firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Program Advising is available Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 for the Nursing program: Please email Fran Meloche, RN MScN Student Success Coordinator; email@example.com to schedule a virtual appointment.
- Struggling with a course
- Academic advising & planning
- Referral for Services (most are now offered virtually)
- Much more..
A. Missed an event in Nursing? No problem. All events are recorded and available on the Nursing Student Support Centre (2020) Blackboard under the Events tab.
Information for new graduates for 2020, please visit https://www.uwindsor.ca/graduation-convocation/
The 2020 Spring Graduates will also be invited to the virtual ceremonies on October 16, 2020 at 3:00 pm
A. NCLEX information can be found: https://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/entry-to-practice-examinations/nclex-rn/exam-writers/qas-about-the-nclex-rn-for-exam-writers/. Please continue to check the College of Nurses site to find updates regarding when you are eligible to write your NCLEX. As a reminder, students need to complete the BScN program and have an offer of employment before they are able to apply for a temporary licence.
Effective July 16, 2020 the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Request for Academic Records/Transcript forms are processed electronically through the University of Windsor, Faculty of Nursing office. Please visit Nursing Visa Screen Application Process for the complete application process.
You will also find instructions to other nursing boards on this link.
The decision has been made to suspend and or cancel sports through 2020 to protect participants. To read the full article visit https://www.uwindsor.ca/dailynews/2020-06-08/suspension-sports-through-2020-protect-participants-says-league
Student Support Program and Student Wellness
A. If you are student in distress, please take advantage of the following services:
- The Student Counselling Centre (SCC) will be conducting appointments through an online video service that is contained within Therapy Assist Online (TAO) or through phone. The TAO video service is done through Zoom meetings. For your appointment, the SCC will send you information on how to use the online interview system. If you do not have a camera on your computer, the system can be used audio-only. If you do not have a computer that has these features, your appointment can be done via phone.
- If you are looking to access counselling for the first time, email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will follow up with you electronically to conduct the intake process.
- MySSP provides free confidential counselling services by licensed counsellors 24/7 via call or text. For more information and to download the app please go to http://www.uwindsor.ca/studentexperience/500/my-student-support-program
- Good2Talk: 24 Hour Student Helpline - 1-866-925-5454
- Windsor-Essex Counselling Support Line (Windsor-Essex COVID Care Coalition) 519-946-3277
- Community Crisis Centre at Windsor Regional Hospital Ouellette campus. This includes a 24-hour crisis telephone line - 519-973-4435
- Visit https://www.uwindsor.ca/coronavirus/377/wellbeing-portal for information and support for your mental well-being
In addition to the provision/coordination of classroom and testing accomodations, Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides a variety of services and supports to students who have registered with SAS, having documented disabilities including:
- learning disabilities
- attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- acquired brain injuries
- vision, hearing and mobility impairments
- chronic medical conditions
- psychiatric issues
Students new to the University of Windsor need to complete the intake and registration form on the SAS website: https://www.uwindsor.ca/studentaccessibility/ . An Advisor from SAS will contact the student and support the student virtually through this process.
If you are a registered SAS student, please follow up with your Advisor and they will assist you. Should you have any difficulties in connecting with your Advisor while the University is in essential services mode, please email: email@example.com.
If you have a letter of accommodation and are registered with SAS, please provide this to each course professor within the first two weeks of class.
Information on exams and how SAS may assist with the delivery of final exams is to be determined.
Effective immediately, Student Health Services will be conducting appointments via telephone. At the time of your appointment, a physician from Health Services will call you and they will conduct your appointment via phone. If the physician needs to see you in person, a follow up appointment will be booked. It is estimated that 80% of appointments can be addressed without an in-person follow up appointment. Prescriptions can still be issued through this approach.
Student Self-Report of Illness during IS2020
- Given the potential for ongoing health-related concerns, the University has made the decision to extend the use of the student self-report of illness interface (with the exception of students in the JD and the Dual JD), and to continue to waive the requirement to submit medical notes for the Intersession/Summer 2020 semester.
- This ask.UWindsor article outlines how students can self-report illness through UWinsite Student from May 26 – August 29, 2020.
- The Office of the Registrar will send a cumulative list of students who have self-reported illness to each department weekly during the IS2020 semester. During exam periods, these lists will be distributed daily. All lists will be organized by instructor and course for sharing with instructors.
- As always, students are entitled to request accommodations based on medical or compassionate grounds as per Bylaw 54, 2.18 and Bylaw 55, 1.11. Determinations about whether and how to accommodate students who submit requests for consideration based on compassionate grounds will as usual be made by instructors and/or the Associate Dean, in keeping with any standard procedures within specific Faculties and the Senate bylaws.
Student Resources for on campus support
A. The Library will continue to provide services to students, faculty and staff remotely. For updates, please refer to the COVID-19: Library Services During Disruption webpage http://leddy.uwindsor.ca/
A. Information Technology Services is happy to help any students who have difficult accessing university sites or course resources remotely. If you need assistance please leave a message at x4440 or log a ticket at uwindsor.ca/itshelp for assistance. You can also visit ask.uwindsor.ca for additional information.
Effective immediately, Student Awards & Financial Aid will only be accessible via email and on-line appointments. Information and updates will be posted to the Student Awards & Financial Aid website as it becomes available.
Students experiencing financial hardship should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief explanation of their situation and their request will be triaged appropriately. Please visit the COVID-19 updates section of their websiste for additional details about Student Awards, Financial Aid, and Emergency Bursary Funding. Website:https://www.uwindsor.ca/studentawards/418/emergency-bursary-funding If you are in a position of repayment with OSAP, payments are now suspended for the summer months. More information can be found: https://www.ontario.ca/page/osap-ontario-student-assistance-program
For information on the residence services, please visit the Residence Services home page
Food Services will continue to provide meals to campus seven days a week, with its primary focus being the delivery of a food program for students who live on campus. Food Services will continue to assess the level of service being offered to the campus and will change hours of business based on the number of guests using each service. For updates on the daily hours of business please check the food services website. www.uwindsor.ca/foodservices/
The Campus Food Pantry continues to operate while the Student Centre is on lock-down. Please visit University of Windsor Students' Alliance (UWSA) website for information: https://uwsa.ca/uwsa-services/campus-food-pantry/
A. Student Success and Leadership Centre
- SSLC hiring practices for Head Start student staff, LEAD, and Faculty Leaders are proceeding, but the selection process may change.
- Regretfully, Bounce Back will have to discontinue its in-person sessions, but will provide its participating students with some electronic supports.
- Effective immediately, all Outstanding Scholars will discontinue their research. The University will maintain its funding commitment to these students. If you are an Outstanding Scholar and you have questions, please contact Dr. Simon Du Toit at email@example.com
Career Development and Experiential Learning
For the next several weeks, career advisors are offering phone appointments and online recordings of scheduled workshops. As you normally would, you can book appointments and register for workshops via mySuccess. For appointments, a career advisor will call you at the scheduled time at the phone number you provided. For workshops, a link to the recording will be emailed to you once it’s ready. You can also email your career exploration and job search questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the advisors will reply to you. Students participating in the Ignite Work Study or VIP-Community Service Learning programs should continue to communicate with coordinators at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org respectively.
For Career Advising Appointments:
- When you book an appointment, you'll notice that the 'mode' is set to 'Phone' and you will be required to enter a phone number. If you book an appointment during this period, your appointment provider will call you at the scheduled time. If you are requesting a mock interview (or other 1-hour appointment) or would prefer to have the appointment conducted over the internet as a video or online chat, please contact us at email@example.com with your request.
- To maximize the effectiveness of your booked appointment, please email any related materials to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance and note the date/time of your scheduled appointment. This includes things like the document you'd like critiqued (resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile, letter of intent, etc.) or the description of the job or academic program you are applying or interviewing for.
- If you are seeking help with your interview skills, we also highly recommend you try InterviewStream, a free resource for you. Visit https://uwindsor.interviewstream.com and create an account with your UWindsor email address to get started. Once registered, you can practice with one of our premade interviews or customize your own using 7000+ pre-recorded questions.
Effective immediately, the Cashier's Office will be closed to walk-in traffic and telephone inquiries. Cashiers will continue to be available via email at email@example.com. Please use this email address to submit documentation (attached as PDFs) or to request documentation.
Contact & Other General Information
Important Contact Numbers:
Windsor-Essex Country Health Unit: 519-258-2146 ext. 1420
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) is the regional health organization that is responsible for public health in the Windsor Essex region. WECHU works closely with Public Health Ontario and the Public Health Agency of Canada to track, manage and respond to pandemic-related concerns.
Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000
Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Contacts for University of Windsor students:
Student Health Services
Contacts for UWindsor employees:
Contact your family doctor, a local walk-in clinic or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000
Safe Lancer App
Please visit Safe Lancer App to download the app on your mobile device.