Coming to campus? Visit this page for important information.

Get Support



It's OK to not be OK. It's OK to not know what to do. It's OK to ask for help.

It’s OK to not be OK.
It's OK to not know what to do.
It’s OK to ask for help.

If you are in need of support but aren't sure what you should do or where you should go for help, you can start by speaking to Dusty at the Sexual Misconduct Response and Prevention Office. She is here to listen. What happens next is up to you. Please know that you can seek her support without any obligation to formally report. You can also seek support regardless of when the assault occurred -- whether it was recently or a long time ago, you still deserve to be listened to.

Dusty can also help connect you with counselling and medical services, as well as other campus and community resources. She can provide information about your reporting options, both to the University and the police. If you choose to file a formal complaint, she can support you in the process. She can help arrange academic and workplace accommodations. Finally, she can help you with safety planning.


If you are in need of immediate help or want to consider your options, please consult the information below.


Your voice and your choices come first. Dusty can provide you with confidential support, information, and guidance, as well as resources and referrals. If you would like to consider reporting your experience, she can explain the different options to you, but you are not obligated to report.

Dusty is available to talk about recent experiences as well as those that may have happened some time ago and are still troubling you.

Reporting options

The University of Windsor utilizes a tiered reporting structure, which means you have options that range from formal to informal. Dusty can explain the differences between and the scopes and limits of these options, as they are outlined in the University of Windsor’s Sexual Misconduct Policy. If the person who harmed you is a member of the University of Windsor community, Dusty can help you file a formal complaint. Dusty can provide assistance if you would like to contact local law enforcement to report an incident.

You should know that you are not required to file a formal report or complaint about sexual misconduct in order to seek accommodation, supports, and services.

Dusty is here to help coordinate accommodations that you may need. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to: “no contact” arrangements between you and the person who harmed you, moving the other person to a different section of a class, relocating work space, coordinating assignment extensions, etc. In order to arrange certain accommodations, Dusty will sometimes need to liaise with other units on campus, which could limit confidentiality; however, measures will be taken to protect your confidentiality as much as possible.

Dusty can provide you with information and connect you with resources. She will help you identify supports on our campus and within our community. If you choose to file a formal complaint with the University, she will also be available to support you through that process. Dusty will provide information about the investigative process and will remain a touchpoint for you as it unfolds. She will keep you informed of the process and provide guidance.

Supervisors of employees have a legal duty to address sexual harassment and sexual misconduct that they witness or of which they have been informed, as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Human Rights Code. They are encouraged to contact Dusty for information and guidance.

If you or someone around you is in danger right now, please call 911 immediately. If you are on campus, you can also call the Campus Police at (519) 253-3000, Ext. 4444.

Following an assault, it is normal to be worried about your body and health. You may have physical injuries that need to be treated, or you may want to seek treatment to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or pregnancy. If the assault occurred within the last 12 days, you may even want to consider a forensic exam.

It's important to know that, although physical injuries are sometimes obvious right away, they may not always be. Sometimes physical health concerns emerge over time -- these may include STIs, reproductive problems, and unwanted pregnancy, as well as other less obvious problems like digestive disorders, anxiety, and insomnia. Seeking treatment as soon as you feel ready may prevent problems from further developing.

You should know, though, that even if you decide not to seek medical help, it doesn’t mean that what happened to you isn’t serious. You can also choose to seek help later or return for help if new symptoms emerge.

You can seek medical attention from your own doctor, at a hospital, or at a walk-in clinic. If you are a student, you may also want to consider going to Student Health Services (SHS).

If you are under the age of 25, you may also seek medical care from the Teen Health Centre in downtown Windsor.

If you choose to visit the SHS and let them know you are seeking treatment for an experience of sexual violence, they will offer you a private space to wait for a nurse to see you. You will also have the option of seeing a female doctor there.

SHS does not provide forensic exams, but they can provide a full range of medical care, including treatment for physical injuries and STIs and emergency contraception. SHS will also inform you of the services available at the Sexual Assault Crisis Centre and the Sexual Assault Treatment Centre, which provide more specialized services. SHS will assist you to contact these services, if you wish.

The Sexual Assault Treatment Centre at the Windsor Regional Hospital, Metropolitan Campus, provides medical assistance 24/7. Go to the Emergency Department and let them know you would like to see someone from the SATC.

The SATC is able to provide the following services:

  • Medical assessment, including testing for sexually transmitted infections, and psychological support.
  • Forensic exams, which involve the collection of medico-legal evidence (also known as a "rape kit").
  • Preventative treatment for pregnancy and STIs.
  • Documentation of injuries.
  • Referrals to community agencies.

The SATC provides services for both men and women.

A rape kit is the informal name for a sexual assault forensic exam. If you are located in the Windsor-Essex area, you can request a forensic exam from the Sexual Assault Treatment Centre, which is located at the Windsor Regional Hospital, Metropolitan Campus. If you are elsewhere in Ontario, you can find the nearest SATC via SATC Ontario.

The purpose of a forensic exam is to preserve physical evidence of an assault in the event that you may want to file a criminal report in the future. You can choose to have the forensic examination administered without choosing to report it to the police. The evidence will be kept on file should you choose to report in the future.

Forensic exams can be performed within 12 days of an assault, although it is ideal to go as soon as possible. In order to preserve physical evidence, it is advised that you not shower, take a bath, or change your clothes or bedding before seeking medical attention. Place clothing and bed sheets, as well as any other relevant items, in a paper bag and take them with you to the SATC. If oral contact occurred, it is recommended that you do not to brush your teeth, smoke, or eat. If you would like to report the incident to the police, the nurses at the SATC will arrange for them to meet you at the hospital.

If you are in need of immediate emotional support or guidance please call the Sexual Assault Crisis Centre hotline, which is available 24/7. You can reach the hotline at (519) 253-9667. The Sexual Assault Crisis Centre is located at 1770 Langlois Ave. For more information call: (519) 253-3100.

If you are a student you may contact Student Counselling Services to arrange an appointment to see an on-campus counsellor. Contact the SCC by phone at (519) 253-3000 | 4616 or by email at If you prefer, you may ask to see a female counsellor.

If you would prefer to speak to a peer about your experience, consider contacting the Peer Support Centre, located in CAW Room 208. Contact the PSC by phone at (519) 253-3000 | 4551 or by email at

Please also consider contacting Dusty for follow-up support.

If you are a staff or faculty member you may want to contact support services through your Employee Assistance Program (accessible via the University of Windsor Human Resources site). Please also consider contacting our Dusty for follow-up support.

Remember: If you tell someone and they don't help you, tell someone else.



To be treated with compassion, dignity, and respect.

To be informed about on- and off-campus services and resources.

To be informed about reporting options and the limits of confidentiality.

To decide if, how, and to whom you want to disclose or report.

To be provided with appropriate accommodations based upon need.

To be provided with assistance in formulating a safety plan.

To decide whether to access available services.

To have reasonable and necessary actions taken to prevent further unwanted contact with the alleged perpetrator.