Temporary Resident Visa (TRV or Entry Visa) 

Depending on citizenship, some international students may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter/return to Canada in addition to their study permit. To check if you need a TRV, please check the CIC website.

When you apply for an initial study permit, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV. If your study permit is approved and a TRV is required, you will be issued a TRV along with your study permit. If you need to extend study permit and TRV, always apply for the study permit renewal first. Once you receive the new study permit, you can apply for the new TRV.

It is important to know when your TRV expires as it can affect your traveling plans. It may take 2-3 months to process the study permit applications and then another month to process the TRV application. You may consider applying for an extension 3 - 4 months in advance based on the study plan, travel schedule, and IRCC’s processing times.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

New entry requirements are now in effect for visa-exempt international students (other than U.S. citizens) who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. Please, check the CIC website to find out whether you will require a visa or an eTA to travel to Canada. You don't need to apply for study permit and eTA separately. When your study permit is approved, your eTA or TRV will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit.