Inviting Your Family to Canada

If you would like to invite your family members to visit/work/study in Canada while you are studying, you can provide the following documents to support their applications:

Letter of Invitation

To invite your family members, you should provide your family with the following documents:

Visiting Canada

If your family members are required to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada, they should prepare their application based on the requirements and instructions of the country from where they will apply.

Working in Canada

If you are a full-time international student, your spouse may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. Your spouse can apply for the work permit from overseas or inside Canada.

Studying in Canada

If your spouse and dependent children wish to attend educational institutions in Canada for more than six months, they can apply for a study permit from either overseas or inside Canada. 

Attending Convocation

If you would like to invite your family members to attend your convocation, you can submit a request for the convocation letter once your status in UWinsite is "approved" for graduating. To make the request submit a request through You will be charged $15 on your UWinsite account for the letter. You are also required to write a letter of invitation yourself; instructions for writing an invitation letter can be found above. Please note that the University provides this letter as a courtesy. The convocation letter is not a required document but acts as a supporting document for your application.

If you are unable to access your convocation letter, you may consider using the enrolment certificate that has your program completion and convocation date listed on it.