Working in Canada

International students may be eligible to work in Canada while studying and after you graduate.

Work On/Off Campus

As a study permit holder, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus without an additional work permit if you meet specific criteria. 

Co-op/Internship Work Permit

If your academic, professional or vocational training program includes an essential co-op or internship component, you will need to apply for a work permit.

Post-graduation Work Permit

You may also apply for a post-graduation work permit to continue working in Canada after you graduate from an eligible institution.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) 

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. You can apply for a SIN either go to Service Canada in downtown Windsor or come to one of our SIN Clinics. To apply for a SIN, international students must provide an original work permit or an original study permit states the permit holder "may accept employment". 

If your study permit doesn't have the proper employment remarks, please visit ISC and we will assist you to either amend your study permit to change the conditions/remarks on your study permit based on your situation.

To facilitate this process we have invited Service Canada staff to come to the ISC and issue SINs to eligible students.