Visiting the United States

If you are going to visit the United States of America during your study in Canada, you may require a U.S. Visitor Visa depending on your country of citizenship. However, citizens of certain countries may be able to travel to the USA without a visa if under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

If you would like to apply for a visitor visa to the US in Canada, please follow these steps:

1) Complete a DS-160 application form online. Please be sure to print out your confirmation page with barcode before exiting.

2) Create your appointment profile; select your Canada Post pickup location; pay your non-refundable visa application fee and schedule your visa interview appointment. Please note if you are renewing your visa which expired less than 12 months ago, and if found eligible for an interview waiver, you will be provided instructions on how to mail your passport and required documents to the Consulate.

3) On the day of your interview you need to bring the following required documents to the Consulate:

  • Your visa appointment confirmation page
  • Your valid passport
  • Your DS-160 confirmation page
  • A passport size and quality photo (2"x2")
  • Proof of your current immigration status in Canada (eg., study/work permit)
  • Any document listed on your appointment confirmation page that is pertinent to the type of visa for which you are applying.

4) If your application is successful you will receive your passport in the mail within 3 – 5 business days after your interview. 

We also suggest our students bring the following additional documents to your interview:

  1. Enrollment letter and Transcript from uwinsite
  2. Tuition payment confirmation from the uwinsite
  3. Bank summary from your banking institution
  4. CV/resume, a description of your current and past research, and a list of your scientific publications (for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math graduate students only)
  5. If you are currently enrolled in a course based master program, you can bring a description of your program to prove that your program doesn't require research. 
  6. If you were previously in the United States, any documents attesting to your status.
  7. Criminal/court records pertaining to any arrest or conviction, even if later pardoned.
  8. Translation into English of any non-English document.
  9. Supporting documents related to your travel: event information, invitation letter, etc.

More information