If you have received a donor-sponsored award at any point during your university career, please take a moment to send a letter of thanks to your donor. Thanking people is very important and can make all the difference to donors, who appreciate hearing from recipients. Donors are interested in knowing how their scholarship or bursary has impacted a student's life. When donors know that their contributions are making a difference, they are encouraged to continue their support.
When writing a thank you letter, remember the following tips:
- Write clearly and concisely and express enthusiasm.
- Address the note/letter to 'Dear Mr. or Mrs.' or to the specific scholarship committee.
- Choose a conservative note card. The note should be on fine quality paper on a light tone, such as white, off-white or ivory.
- You may either type or handwrite the note, which is sometimes more personal and shows a little extra effort.
- Use a good quality pen in dark blue or black ink.
- Keep the note short, specific and be sincere.
- Spell everything correctly. Have a friend or family member proofread the note before you mail it.
- Write something specific about yourself that makes you unique.
- Sign the note/letter by hand and print your formal name.
- Put your return address on the letter and envelope in case the donor wishes to reply.
- Put adequate postage on the envelope.
- Mail your thank you note within 30 days after the receipt of your scholarship.
The structure of your letter should be:
Paragraph 1: Thank the donor for his/her generosity in providing you with these funds and explain how this scholarship made a difference in your education.
Paragraph 2: Tell the donor some personal information about yourself. You can give a brief description of where you come from and your specific major.
Paragraph 3: Give the donor some information concerning your future goals and how the scholarship has affected these goals.
Paragraph 4: Thank the donor again.
Complimentary thank you cards and prepaid postage envelopes are availabe compliments of Alumni Affairs and Donor Communications. To receive a complimentary thank you card, please send an email to email@example.com. Please include your mailing address and the number of cards needed, and we will mail them to you as soon as possible.