Fall term 2022 contracts - Guidelines for departments:
The application deadline for GA and TA positions must be no later than 4 weeks prior to the beginning of the term per the collective agreement. Departments are strongly encouraged to set an earlier application deadline where possible, to allow for sufficient time for assignments and contract processing.
The application deadline must be aligned with the anticipated position start date listed on the posting and the respective contract submission deadlines, as per the posted GA/TA contract submission schedule.
- All GA and TA postings must be posted on the AAU website. A standard posting period is considered to be 5-7 days prior to the application deadline.
- Departments are to follow the GA and TA job posting templates that have been provided and email a copy of their draft posting to graduate studies for review before it has been posted on their website. A standardized application form is available to be used by departments.
- Students interested in applying for a GA or TA position in a specific program/department are encouraged to visit the departmental website where available positions will be posted before each term.
Departments are advised to refer to the GA and TA posting templates that have been provided. The following should be outlined on Fall term 2022 postings:
- Assistants cannot commence their GA/TA duties until email confirmation of the approval of their contract is received from Human Resources.
- It is anticipated that the majority of Fall term 2022 classes across the University will be held face-to-face on campus or have a face-to-face component. GA and TA employees are expected to make themselves available to report for all assigned duties, both on-campus and online. The University of Windsor health and safety protocols and public health and safety regulations that are in place will be observed for any face-to-face or on-campus duties required to support Fall term 2022 courses. Refer to the University’s Return to campus webpage for details about the policies in effect through the Fall 2022 semester.
Departments should identify on the posting any additional specific requirements, including, as applicable, requirements related to face-to-face on-campus duties or related to supporting online delivery, such as:
- must be available to report for all assigned duties, both on-campus and online
- Internet access requirement, e.g.: 'must have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection with video and audio capabilities'.
- Blackboard experience, e.g. "must be familiar with Blackboard and MS Teams or be able to acquire knowledge through training".
For Summer term 2022 contracts guidelines refer to the Memo for Summer term 2022.
The following are the hourly rates that became effective September 1, 2021 and applicable to Fall term 2022 contracts:
- M II – $39.43 per hour
- PhD – $43.93 per hour
TA rates effective September 1, 2021:
- TA I (Years 1 and 2) – $20.39 per hour
- TA II (Years 3 and 4) – $21.99 per hour
- TA III – $28.85 per hour
- M I – $28.85 per hour
Ensure you use the CURRENT "Notice of appointment to assistantship" contract form (last updated March 2022). To be able to fill each contract form, save the contract PDF form on your computer. You must open the PDF form in Adobe Acrobat Reader and not in your browser. If the PDF form is opened in a browser (e.g. Chrome or Edge) you will not be able to properly fill in the form and to insert digital signatures. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, the free version of Adobe Reader can be downloaded from Adobe. After you have installed Adobe Reader, open the form in Adobe Reader and fill in the information. If your form still opens in a browser, follow the instructions to open the file with Adobe Reader.
After contracts hav e been prepared and completed, all contracts are to be submitted by the AAU via the GA/TA workflow - review the detailed contract submission instructions for departments.
In addition to the GA or TA contract ("Notice of appointment"), Form 1 must be completed for each GA or TA appointment prior to commencement of the duties (article 12:06 of the GA/TA Collective agreement) and kept on file in the department.
Signatures on Form 1 will be applied digitally:
- Download "Form 1" (.pdf)
- Complete the Form 1 and obtain required signatures (refer to the instructions for inserting a digital signature).
Note the following:
- Before signing Form 1, GA/TA supervising instructors and AAU Heads should ensure that the form is fully completed, with a detailed description of the duties and breakdown of the assigned hours.
- The GA/TA supervising instructor must make arrangements for a meeting with the Assistant to discuss the duties in detail. The meeting must be held no later than 10 days after the commencement of the GA/TA employment (article 14:04).
- For training purposes, instructors can refer GAs and TAs to the online teaching supports for GAs and TAs including CTL's Blackboard support and guidelines for new GAs/TAs.
- The format of Form 1 provides for a mid-course review and, where appropriate, revision of the initially assigned duties and distribution of hours. Any changes must be recorded on the same form with the date of the review meeting noted, and the form should be digitally signed again by assistant, supervisor, and AAU Head. If there are no changes only the date of the review and signatures should be recorded on the form.
- An assistant must NOT work more hours than the total hours listed on their contract. If an assistant believes that they are likely to exceed the assigned hours in their contract, they must inform their supervisor in writing at least 20 hours prior to completion of the total hours in their contract (article 14:06). A notation to this effect appears also on Form 1.
The completed and signed Form 1 for each assistant is to be kept on file in the department.
Information about completion of required training for all new University employees, including new GAs and TAs, is available from the HR website under section “For Students: New Hire Package" under 'Required Employee Training & Employee Number''.
Returning assistants who have already taken the appropriate training in previous terms do NOT need to repeat the same training. Departments should establish their internal procedures and deadlines for verifying training completion.
Please ensure to include on Form 1 "Description of duties and allocation of hours" the hours for the required training - below are suggested guidelines provided by HR:
(1) for the Health and Safety modules:1.5 hours total - contact email@example.com
(2) for the Accessible Customer Service Training & the AODA and Ontario Human Rights Code training: 2 hours total - contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternative Accessible Customer Service training options for TAs only may be available as detailed below:
- (2a) TA appointments of 5 hours or more: the training should be completed through either the standard 90-minute online e-learning tool (same as GAs) or through arranging for a 60-minute training workshop with OHREA office (a minimum of 10 participants is required for the 60-minute training workshop) - for details contact the OHREA office (email@example.com).
- (2b) TA appointments of fewer than 5 hours:
- if duties involve direct contact with students: the 90-minute online e-learning module and quiz must be completed.
- if duties involve no direct contact with students: the training of such TAs can be completed through provision of brochures followed by a 30-minute online quiz - contact the OHREA office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A variety of resources targeted to GAs and TAs in all departments are available, including GATA Network workshops and drop-in hours as well as Blackboard support and guidelines from CTL for new GAs/TAs. Resources are summarized on the Fall term resources for students webpage.